stella1751
Greener Thumb

Rhubarb Pie

Back in the early 1900's, my mother's family emigrated from Germany, bringing with them some truly decadent recipes. One of these was rhubarb cream pie. I have grown rhubarb in the past simply to make this pie. Wish I had some now :cry:

2 c. rhubarb
2 1/2 T. flour
3 eggs
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 T. cream
1 recipe pastry

Mix flour with rhubarb, add sugar. Mix again; then add vanilla, eggs, and cream. Turn into unbaked pie crust, cover with crust. Bake in moderate oven till done, approximately 50 minutes.

Rogue11

Thank you so much for this recipe. My Oma used to make this pie for us grandkids when we visited her on weekends (I am German by birth). It's so delicious. I have not had it in years and I will certainly try to make it this summer.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Is the rhubarb raw? Chopped? Or is it cooked down?

shadowsmom

Stella, I wish I could send you some rhubarb so you could enjoy your pie! DH grew up eating rhubarb and I have way more than I can use now that he is prone to kidney stones and rhubarb is on the list of things he should avoid. I still make some pies for the kids and limit DH to one piece.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

This is the best rhubarb pie recipe ever! Thank you so much for posting it!! :D

The rhubarb is raw by the way. I used 3 cups of rhubarb and adjusted the rest accordingly since I was using a deep dish. Holy cow!!!

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

shadowsmom----- I feel sorry for your husband, as I get kidney stones too, and can't eat Rhubarb either, and I loved it. So many things you can't eat when you have a tendancy to kidney stones. :(

Runningtrails

Thank you for this recipe! I have some rhubarb right now, waiting for something. This sounds perfect!

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Made this again today! I added a cup of chopped strawberries to it! Nice addition, if you like strawberries.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”