WinglessAngel
Green Thumb
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:51 am
Location: NE Ohio

Oven Fried Zuchini!

Another one of my favorites as I don't particularly like zuchini unless it's flavored....enjoy everyone!! (A great way to use up the excess zukes that always end up lying around lol)

PS: the recipes I post are my own and made up by me :)

Oven Fried Zuchini:

Cooking Spray
¾ C + Seasoned Bread Crumbs
½ C Parmesan Cheese
¼ C + Flour
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Salt
1 TbSp Parsley
1 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Basil
2 Lg. Eggs Beaten (Or 3)
3 Or 4 Med. Zucchini Cut Into ½ X 3 Inch Sticks

Mix all dry ingredients together well and then dip the sticks in the egg and then roll them in the crumb and spice mixture placing on a greased baking sheet so that they are not touching each other. Prior to baking spray tops of all sticks with cooking spray and then bake at 475 degrees at 7 minutes and then turn once and spray again and then bake an additional 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown.

mmmfloorpie
Senior Member
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:21 am
Location: Ontario Canada

Re: Oven Fried Zuchini!

WinglessAngel wrote:Another one of my favorites as I don't particularly like zuchini unless it's flavored....enjoy everyone!! (A great way to use up the excess zukes that always end up lying around lol)

PS: the recipes I post are my own and made up by me :)

Oven Fried Zuchini:

Cooking Spray
¾ C + Seasoned Bread Crumbs
½ C Parmesan Cheese
¼ C + Flour
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Salt
1 TbSp Parsley
1 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Basil
2 Lg. Eggs Beaten (Or 3)
3 Or 4 Med. Zucchini Cut Into ½ X 3 Inch Sticks

Mix all dry ingredients together well and then dip the sticks in the egg and then roll them in the crumb and spice mixture placing on a greased baking sheet so that they are not touching each other. Prior to baking spray tops of all sticks with cooking spray and then bake at 475 degrees at 7 minutes and then turn once and spray again and then bake an additional 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown.
After reading about this in a lot of threads (lol), I'm going to try it since I have a lot of zucchini... I think it might be a better idea, though, if you put dredged the zucc in flour, then egg wash, then the spice mix...

I'm also going to try cutting them length wise into flat slices and then grille them on the BBQ.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:51 am
Location: NE Ohio

if u do that they actually wont bake the same way and they do get crispy without the extra flour but try it and see if u like it that way better, im all for making recipes ur own :P but if you do that i would not use the flour in the spice and crumb mixture, but another change u can make is to use panko bread crumbs thats my next change ill be trying with it, my zuchinni and straighneck summer squash i planted together in the same hills (garden experiment to see what comes out of cross pollination) is a bit on the slow side producing, but i see baby veggies coming out with female flowers now and ill deff be doing that with some and making lots of bread out of them :)

Happy Gardening! :D

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:51 am
Location: NE Ohio

i also do like them grilled but marinated first, i always use a vinegar base salad dressing to marinate them with, my preference is a good balsamic vinegar dressing and marinate for at least a few hours or overnight in the fridge too :)

User avatar
webmaster
Site Admin
Posts: 9163
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:59 pm
Location: Amherst, MA USDA Zone 5a

This is how I do it:

1. Slice the Zucchini lengthwise.

2. Brush on some Sunflower or Olive Oil and lay them on pie pan or whatever you're baking them on.

3.Lightly salt the Zucchini.

4. Bake at 430 degrees for ten to fifteen minutes. Be sure to flip them over halfway through.

The above recipe works for brocolli, too. Zero cholesterol. It has a deliciously nutty taste. The oil is heart healthy. Can't go wrong and it's fast and easy to prep and cook.

mmmfloorpie
Senior Member
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:21 am
Location: Ontario Canada

webmaster wrote:This is how I do it:

1. Slice the Zucchini lengthwise.

2. Brush on some Sunflower or Olive Oil and lay them on pie pan or whatever you're baking them on.

3.Lightly salt the Zucchini.

4. Bake at 430 degrees for ten to fifteen minutes. Be sure to flip them over halfway through.

The above recipe works for brocolli, too. Zero cholesterol. It has a deliciously nutty taste. The oil is heart healthy. Can't go wrong and it's fast and easy to prep and cook.
I did some marinated slices on the BBQ today and they came out nice. I didn't have lots of time to marinate though. I put them on a diagonal bias on the grill so that they would get some nice grill marks.

I cut the slices lengthwise about a quarter of an inch thick and let them soak in olive, balsamic vinegar and SnP. I think next time I might add a pinch of sugar because they just tasted like they should be a little on the sweet side! Maybe mix up the vinegar, oil and some honey? Just throwing out ideas, but again it felt like they should have had a sweetness boost!

I'm really in love with the idea of breaded zucchini sticks... That and a nice spicy mayo sauce sounds like a winner to me! lol.

Wingless: The only reason I suggested doing the flour first was because it helps the breadcrumbs adhere to the zucchini sticks!

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:51 am
Location: NE Ohio

yes you're right sometimes the breading does fall off but theyre still delish :) I'm glad your marinated zukes turned out well for you....you might try a raspberry walnut vinegarette if you want a sweeter flavor its sweet by nature on its own, any vinegar based dressing does great for marinating....try that one and then if its still not sweet enough, try white or brown sugar added in, sometimes when honey is added and its cooked onto foods it can turn a little bitter tasting,,,,,sometimes, but again only suggestions, cooking like gardening is all an experiment until you find what you like and works well for you :)

mmmfloorpie
Senior Member
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:21 am
Location: Ontario Canada

WinglessAngel wrote:yes you're right sometimes the breading does fall off but theyre still delish :) I'm glad your marinated zukes turned out well for you....you might try a raspberry walnut vinegarette if you want a sweeter flavor its sweet by nature on its own, any vinegar based dressing does great for marinating....try that one and then if its still not sweet enough, try white or brown sugar added in, sometimes when honey is added and its cooked onto foods it can turn a little bitter tasting,,,,,sometimes, but again only suggestions, cooking like gardening is all an experiment until you find what you like and works well for you :)
I think the reason I wanted them sweeter was because I only allowed them to marinate for a couple of hours. I could still really taste the bitterness of the zucchini...

Today, I let them marinate for about 6 hours and it had much more of the balsamic flavour!

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:51 am
Location: NE Ohio

thats great! glad ur happy with the way they turned out...and yes i myself do not like the taste either without added flavors....you could also try peeling them and scooping the seed areas out before cooking as well that will take some of the bitter flavor out....

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”