WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Best Fresh Tomato Basil Sammie Ever!!

Thick toasted slices of crusty bread, I like sourdough best for this, but can't always find it.
A dab of mayo on both sides
Thick slices of fresh homegrown tomatos
Lots of chiffonade fresh homegrown basil
Sprinkle lightly with fresh homegrown oregano or dried
Light salt and pepper

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

oops forgot to add...

also a slice of sweet onion!

Enjoy!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It was all sounding great until you added that onion!! Cannot deal with raw onion. Instead of the onion, you could put a very thin slice of mild cheese (not to overpower the tomato flavor).

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

thats only if u like it lol I love raw sweet onions with the sammy but I do make it without sometimes and it's still just as yummy!

applestar
Mod

WHY are you posting this recipe NOW!!?
I've got months to go before we'll have sandwich-worthy tomatoes, though I do have basil growing in the house.

Wah! :>

HOWEVER, I will have sweet Spanish as well as red onions from the garden this year if all goes well. DH puts thick slices of raw onions you could make onion rings out of, but I like just a few paper thin slivers to add a touch of flavor that won't overpower the rest.

You bumped that sourdough thread too, so now, I'm REALLY hungry.... :roll:

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

LOL :shock: I'm sorry apple!!! I figured hey you could look forward to it LOL :wink: I hope everything turns out well for you with your garden this year....I am hoping I am not being too ambitious with mine, 4 separate areas planted plus potted tomatos, cantaloupes, to be trained to grow onto the driveway, and potted basil and parsley LOL but I will have my fiance's little girl he calls daughter (a 12 yr old we currently have under our wing as her father is not around and her poor mom works all the time at 2/3 jobs) to help out and even set aside her own plants and a space in my garden for her...she's all excited and can't wait to grow things with her other "mom" :) she's gonna flip when she finds out I decided to plant radishes and romain and cauliflower and peas and green onions as well (space maximizers lol) ahh if all goes well she'll be taking her own home away from home grown veggies and fruits to her own family to eat....I'm so excited betcha can't tell LOL

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”