gundogblue
Cool Member

Please help: is it OK to re-freeze accidentally thawed food?

Saturday my daughter had a bon-fire, and just had to have a radio so she un-pluged the freezer in the garage in order to run an extension cord out to where the fire was so that her and her friends could have a radio. well she forgot to plug the freezer back in, today (Tuesday) I went out to the freezer to get some of the veggies I had put away from my garden, and while everything was still cold it was defrosted. Along with two dozen pork chops, a couple of frozen pizzas, and bread, the food has'nt spoiled yet, but can it be re-frozen? If anybody know the answer to this I would greatly appriciate it.
Thanks
Paul :(

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

In general, if a food item is completely thawed, it should be used as soon as possible. If the interior of the food item is still icy, it can usually safely be refrozen. Food authorities say refreezing can lower the quality, but they're referring more to things like texture, size of ice crystals, etc., rather than the health value of the food.

I had a similar thing happen, in which a worker unplugged my freezer to plug in a power tool, and then failed to plug the freezer back in again. :roll: It had been unplugged for a couple of days, but not opened, so I just plugged it in and let everything refreeze. I'm not in a financial position to waste food, and there was far too much for me to eat before it spoiled. I didn't notice any terrible results.

It might be a good idea to mark the items some way, so that you're sure to use them first, before any newer food you add to the freezer. JMO. :)

gundogblue
Cool Member

Thank You very much for the reply, I plugged the freezer back in and I guess we'll hope for the best, I know the food was still very cold, but just the thought of wasting food really upsets me, the pork chops are just too expensive, and the veggies from MY garden just mean so much to me, as everybody on this sight knows alot of work goes into our crops. Oh and there will be no more bon fires for "the little lady".
Thank You,
Paul

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”