tumble weed
Newly Registered

Pressure Canner

I am trying to get into canning. Regular canning doesn't see too difficult, however I am a little scared of pressure canning. I found an old pressure canner but I am wondering if a newer one would be better. I saw one at Southern States that looked super safe and easy. Does anyone know what is the best canner and where to get it? Also, I want to learn to dry foods. Should I get a dehydrator or is the oven better? I'm looking for quality not easy and/or cheap. Thanks so much!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Depends on what you want to dry. Some things will do fine in the oven. I dry a lot of herbs and I think the dehydrator is definitely better for that (lower temps, even the low setting on the oven is a bit hot for that, tends to take some of the flavor out). But I also just hang herbs upside down in paper bags to dry. I have a dehydrator that someone gave me, that I actually haven't used very much.

trinoc

rainbowgardener wrote:Depends on what you want to dry. Some things will do fine in the oven. I dry a lot of herbs and I think the dehydrator is definitely better for that (lower temps, even the low setting on the oven is a bit hot for that, tends to take some of the flavor out). But I also just hang herbs upside down in paper bags to dry. I have a dehydrator that someone gave me, that I actually haven't used very much.
Ohhhh, I have a dehydrator and never considered it for herbs!!! :oops: I'm wanting to do some fruit leather for my kids. I think they would think it was fun. I just really forget that I have it and have done nothing much with it.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

If you are looking for quality in canners look at All-American canners. Super heavy duty and use no gasket. I use a 921 and can process 18 pints at a time in it. Be prepared to part with some serious $'s though!

I don't have any experience with them but all of the research I have done so far says that Excalibur dehydrators are some of the best made.

GomoIsGardening
Cool Member

Hope this isn't too late.

I've had an Excalibur dehydrator for about 8 years and it really gets the job done. It dries more evenly and a little faster than the round types, so there was a learning curve on my timing. I wouldn't spend extra $ for the fruit leather inserts. Those are the same things sold for oven liners at Walmart, etc. Customer service is so so.

I have the 915 All American canner and my only regret is I didn't purchase the 921 model. The 921 is tall enough to open water bath quarts. Both can 7 quarts but the 921 doubles the amount of pints. It's big and heavy and works like a dream on my turkey fryer set up. The canner will last generations. You can also use it for normal pressure cooking. They have excellent customer service.

Amazon has both and they qualify for free shipping. The 921 is $200, the 915 is $180 and the dehydrator is $219.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”