Ruffsta
Green Thumb

canning

Ooh, this is something I would like to try out, I plan to get my canner and supplies as soon as taxes come in! lol

Only thing I would like to know is how do you get them to taste like the store brands..

IE: Banana Pepper Rings - I like certain store bought ones, but I figure why not grow and preserve my own. 8)

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I've got about 40 quarts of various things canned from my summer and fall gardens this year. I just wish I'd get my Mason jars back when I give folks some of what I've preserved for them to eat. I find I get them back when giving to folks my age or older more frequently than if I give something to one of my nephews/nieces who are in the 20 something crowd. Their's is a throwaway society.

I probably spend between $50-$70 a year on canning supplies, mostly jars. lids, vinegar, sugar and spices.

Oh, and that store brand taste-----------sometimes it's not what I want, so I experiment with different seasonings. I'm thinking you'll likely do the same when you get comfortable with the process.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Only thing I would like to know is how do you get them to taste like the store brands..
Hopefully they never do! They will be much better.

applestar
Mod

I just wish I'd get my Mason jars back when I give folks some of what I've preserved for them to eat.
On the label, mark: "Return jar for FREE refill" :wink:

If you feel you need to be clearer, and there is room on the label, "Return CLEAN jar for FREE refill" :>

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

In the case of banana peppers and pickles... I would be in heaven if I could get a product with store bought taste and texture.

I don't attempt to pickle products at home, except for relishes, it is better to simply buy them, then you get what you want. In other products, homecanning can be so much better than store bought, but not in the case of pickles. This is a matter of opinion, and my personal opinion, it is not worth the effort, the result is always disappointing. So, freeze or dehydrate those peppers for recipes, and go buy your pickled peppers.

But, one comment, what does a pressure canner have to do with pickled peppers? You don't pressure can high acid foods, like those that are preserved in vinegar.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”