applestar
Mod

Avocado in a soup, and other interesting avocado recipes?

lorax wrote:Locro de Queso (a hearty cheese and potato soup that is always eaten with a generous slice of avocado floated on top)
What an intriguing combination! What kind of cheese? ...and the soup is served hot? (would that make the avocado kind of "melt"?)

lorax
Greener Thumb

This is a traditional Andean soup, and is considered to be a particular specialty dish of Quito. The potatoes are a specific type of yellow potato called "Papalocro" - they sort of dissolve when cooked. However, any non-waxy potato will work well in the recipe.

Queso Fresco is another Latin American staple that is not normally available in North America, but it's easy to make your own - 1 pint of cream in 1 quart of milk, boil, then add vinegar by tablespoons until curds form. Drain and salt well, then press the curds into a mass. QF lasts about 3-4 days, so use it up quickly!

Assuming you'll be feeding 6 people, You need:

*18-24 large locro potatoes (more if they're smaller)
*1 lb of Queso Fresco (if you can't find or make this, use fresh Riccotta)
*6 cups of chicken stock
*a dash of Achiote (powdered)
*a pinch of salt
*fresh chopped cilantro
*3 ripe avocadoes (ideally).

Some recipes also call for 1/4 of a gold-fleshed squash in smallish chunks; if you want to add this, then take out 4 potatoes.

In a large soup pot, bring the chicken stock, salt, achiote and potatoes (and squash) to a boil. Locro potatoes will dissolve as they cook, but if you're using regular spuds, boil until they're quite tender and almost falling apart. If you're using squash, boil until the squash is tender.

Once the potatoes and squash are tender, remove from the heat and transfer the soup into your blender and pulse it to break up the last of the lumps. Return it to the pot, and crumble the Queso Fresco in, stirring well.

This goes into bowls immediately. Cilantro is dropped on top as a garnish, and half a ripe avocado (peeled) is floated in the center.

It's traditional to eat Locro de Queso with popcorn - this is thrown into the broth and eaten immediately, before it really has time to dissolve.

applestar
Mod

Thanks, Lorax! :()

lorax
Greener Thumb

Heck, if you want "unusual" avocado recipes, I'm full of them. Here, we even take smaller avocadoes, half and pit them, fill the cavity with raw sugar, and munch out. That snack is called a battery.

lorax
Greener Thumb

Is anybody out there interested in a recipe for Avocado Ice Cream? I'll post it if you are - it's one of my favourite flavours.

gros michel

lorax wrote:Is anybody out there interested in a recipe for Avocado Ice Cream? I'll post it if you are - it's one of my favourite flavours.
I'd try it..... never made Ice cream but would love to try..... I was going to ask if the Ecuadorian altitude was affecting you suggesting avocado ice cream..... till I remembered my favorite is Red Bean! :lol:

ButterflyGarden

I'd try avocado ice cream too.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”