DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Egg Recipes

Hey Everyone,

This seems to happen ever year about this time. Overrun with duck eggs.
It's the off season for the B and Bs and our Farmers Market is only one Saturday per month.

My ducks are laying between 6 and 12 eggs per day. Help!

Looking for some ideas on recipes or freezing :?:

Thank You
Eric

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have frozen chicken eggs in the past. I just broke the eggs into a small container, "stirred" the yolks and whites together, and put them in the freezer. They're good for baking and cooking purposes, and make okay (but not great) omelets, but that's about it. :)

I've also heard that eggs can be frozen by breaking them into containers and just covering them with water. No need to mix the white and yolk together. I guess the frozen water is supposed to protect them from the drying effects of being frozen. I have not tried this method, myself, so I don't know if or how well it works. (Perhaps it's the same concept as freezing fish in a block of ice.)

Have you ever had dessert omelet? They're delish! :D

I eat a lot of eggs, sometimes 3 dozen a week. Yep, I luvs me some eggs! [img]https://www.smileyskit.com/images/wub1.gif[/img] And ducky eggs are wunnerful! [img]https://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Food/eating-43.gif[/img]

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Dessert omelet, I'm game. How about one of your favorite recipes?

Eric

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Proceed as for making a regular omelet. Spread with softened cream or ricotta cheese. Add sliced banana and sliced strawberries. Fold and serve. I usually add a bit more of the cheese and fruit on top after I fold the omelet, but it's just to fancy it up. It tastes equally good without the extra. :)

I also like to make them with jam or jelly and a bit of sweetened sour cream. And I have a friend who makes them with maple syrup and chopped nuts.

Let your imagination soar! :)

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Can't think of much to do with eggs except eat them and pickle them. I love pickled eggs and make a gallon or so of them from time to time. I've read some of the replies and must admit, I've never frozen an egg. Then again, I don't have fowl laying more eggs than I can eat.

Lehcar

Ooooo!! Nom nom nom! Duck eggs!

Salted duck eggs, for sure. Maybe pickle them... but I've never tried to pickle a duck egg, they're pretty oily but the vinegar *should* cut right through that. Hmm... if you pickle them, let me know how it turns out!

Also quiches... quiches, quiches, quiches! Make little mini-quiches for snacks or lunch, use up veggies or fresh herbs that are about to turn on you. That overcooked ham that no one will touch for leftovers? Quiche it! Just got a *GREAT* deal on 10 lbs. of some sort of winter veggie that you couldn't pass up? Quiche it!

Find yourself a basic quiche recipe that you like, don't forget to pre-bake the pie crust and freeze the quiche. You can freeze quiche for a month unbaked and up to two months baked.

To freeze unbaked: prepare the quiche as per your recipe just don't bake it, put it on a level surface in your freezer. When it hardens thoroughly, remove from freezer and wrap completely in foil or parchment paper, place into a freezer bag and seal tightly. Label it and keep for up to a month.

To freeze baked, follow the same directions except go through with baking time and then freeze, wrap and store.

To cook, DO NOT THAW, place quiche from freezer directly into the oven. Add 10-20 minutes of cooking time for an unbaked quiche. For a baked quiche, cook in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes or until warmed thoroughly.

Salted Duck Eggs

1 doz. fresh duck eggs
1 1/2 c. sea salt (for mild taste)
5 c. warm water

Scrub your eggs gently but thoroughly. Do not use soap as the membranes in the eggs are still permeable enough to affect the taste of the brine.

Mix the salt in with the water until completely dissolved and add your eggs. Be sure to choose a container you won't miss for a month or longer depending on your taste (I like to use plastic gallon-size milk or juice cartons with the top cut off). Add your eggs to the water.

To weight your eggs down, fill a plastic bag (quart or gallon depending on the size of the mouth of your container) with tap water, squeeze out the air and place on top of the egg/water mix. The bag should rest low enough to keep the eggs in the salt water but not so much as to crush the eggs.

Now... put it somewhere dark and out-of-the-way and wait about a month. To test to see if the eggs are salty enough for you, just take one out and boil it. If you like it, boil them all and keep them in the fridge for up to a year. If not, just keep them in the salt water for another week and try again.

Most of the time I just eat these as-is but sometimes I top my salads with them, crumble them and toss them in with my scrambled chicken eggs in the morning, mix with ham (or tuna) and some mayo for a creamy sandwich... just about anything.
:D

Breakfast Egg Bake

This is one of those "eh... put everything and the kitchen sink in it" recipes that usually drives me bonkers (I like my measurements, thank you very much!) but with breakfast I'm not really even thinking about being human let alone measuring things that early, hehe! Most of the time I prepare all the veggies and seasonings the night before, put them in a ziploc bag so that in the morning all I have to do is crack the eggs, stir in the mixings and put it in the oven.

3 duck eggs (or 5 chicken eggs)
1 c. of milk
An over sized handful of meat (ground beef from the night before, cubed ham, bacon, cooked sausage, leftover pot roast... you get the idea)
An over sized handful of veggies (cooked corn, green beans, frozen hashbrowns, spinach...)
A handful of cheese
Salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients in an oven-safe dish (I use a 9" round but a 9"x13" baking pan works, too) and bake for 35-40 minutes on 350 degrees or until eggs are set.

If I put this on just when I wake up, I have just enough time to foist my morning-hating hubby out of bed, drag him kicking and screaming into the shower and have him dressed and presentable right about the time it's coming out of the oven, lol.

Half is gone after breakfast and if the other half makes it past lunch time it usually falls victim to night-time snacking.

Hope these help!

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Kisal, What sort of difference is there between chicken and duck eggs? I MIGHT??? be able to sneak a couple of ducks in here ( muscovies) much quieter than most ducks. But we have never tried duck eggs. I don't know why, we just let them sit on them to hatch. Hopefully you or anyone else could give me some info on this? Also if muscovies eggs taste different than other duck eggs? Thanks in advance.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

GM,

Duck eggs are higher in nutrition in all categories. I think they taste better too. :D

I sell many dozen eggs to a women that owns two B and Bs and a restaurant. She prefers them for baking. She also claims they make better meringue.

I never eaten an Muscovy egg, I raise them for meat.

https://boondockersnaturals.com/DuckEggNutritionFacts.aspx

Eric

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The duck eggs I've had were larger than chicken eggs ... just a little less than twice the size of the Large chicken eggs I buy ... and, to my taste, they have a "richer" flavor. Maybe they have a higher fat content? I haven't done any research on them. I used to give the snails I collected from my yard to a friend who had ducks. The ducks were white and he called them Pekin ducks. He'd always bring me 3 or 4 duck eggs when he came to pick up the snails.

Other than the richer flavor and the size, they were the same a chicken eggs. They didn't have a strong flavor or any oddness about the taste. Just nice, big, yummy eggs! [img]https://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Food/eating-43.gif[/img]

This is my favorite egg salad recipe:

EGG SALAD DELUXE

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup red onion, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
8 hard boiled eggs, peeled

In a medium bowl, mix the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir in the celery, onion and parsley. Coarsely chop the eggs and gently stir into the remaining ingredients. Chill before serving.

Makes about 4-6 servings
Do not freeze

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Just be careful what u feed ur duckies, feed also makes a huge different in taste, richness and texture with duck eggs and even chicken eggs included!

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

If you also have a lot of fresh vegetables- fitata. You need quite a bit of chopped or coursely pulsed vegetables and quite a bit of chopped garlic. Saute until soft in olive oil or olive oil/ butter mix without salt. Then add beaten eggs, a little salt and Italian type cheese(s). Keep stirring until well set up. Will keep on low heat for up to 1/2 hour. We like this sooooo much we would eat it almost everyday. Serve with salad, fruit and if you like bread or pancakes. The key is not salt the vegs while cooking or they will weep. Note this is my receipe We are allergic to onions and peppers. Everyone who has tried it has switched to this method and the garlic so far of our coworkers and friends.

soil
Greener Thumb

were getting about 10-20 chicken eggs a day now. no way we can handle all of them.

I have really been making a lot of fresh pasta lately to go with the tomatoes and other things from the garden. depending on how many people your cooking for it can take a good amount of eggs with more people.

any extras we give to family or friends.

FruitAddict
Cool Member

I was going to suggest egg salad too... I found a recipe that I've fallen in love with - I've never tasted such good egg salad in all my life...

8 Hard Boiled Eggs (I usually just use all 12eggs right away and leave all other ingrediants the same)
1 Cup Mayo
1/4 Cup Dried Onion Flakes
1/2 Teaspoon Salt (I rarely add this)
1 Teaspoon Mustard Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Pepper
1 Teaspoon Dill Weed

If you are going to eat immediately after making you will need to Soak Onion Flakes 1/4 Cup hot water for 10 Minutes (Quick Version Microwave Flakes and Water for 1 minute)

Otherwise you will need to mix all ingrediants and store in fridge for 8 hours before serving. I've never had the patience to wait the 8 hours so I always premake the onions first (I've tried fresh onion but it never seems to have the same flavor for some reason) The flavor of the egg salad is much stronger the second day.

The other egg salad recipe sounds yummy too and I may have to alter this one a little to add some of her ingerdiants to mine. Enjoy and let me know what you think if you try this one.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”