gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Salsa Verde Recipe

I used this to make 3 gallons of it on the 17th of December. I'll write it out for a normal batch that is enough for about 2 quarts. I used green plum tomatoes whose plants were killed from a freeze. I found these proportions make a medium hot salsa, but hot is an individual thing so be careful.

2 lbs. green tomatoes roughly diced

3 jalapeno peppers (seeds and pith removed) chopped medium

2 hot chile's of your choice. I used dried Chile De Arbol's seeds and all. the package said on a scale of 1-10, these were considered a 7.5 but I didn't find them as hot as a Serrano.

3 cloves garlic minced
1/3 cup Cilantro or Parsley
1 medium onion coarsely chopped
2 tbsp. sea salt
1 tsp. Cumin
1 tbsp. Olive oil
3 tbsp. water
1 tsp. lemon or lime juice
1/2 tsp. zest of lemon or lime
3 tbsp. sugar

Put the oil and water in the bottom of the pot, add all ingredients and mix well. Bring this to a boil, lower the temperature to medium and stir often. Cook until all tomatoes change color from bright green to a drab color. This takes about 20 minutes once it comes to a boil. Check to see if a lot of juice is accumulating and if so, remove most of it since this couldl make the end result very watery. Save the liquid in case the next step gets too thick.

Once it is cooked, use a blender or pureeing wand to chop all the ingredients to a finer texture. This is up to your preference how fine or chunky you want it. Check for taste and adjust seasoning as needed.

After you place the mixture in your jars, tighten the lids and put them in a canning bath of boiling water for 15 minutes. Remove and let cool. If the lids make a seal you can shelve them, if not, once cooled, refrigerate to keep fresh. This should last about 2 weeks in the fridge.

Before I made this huge batch I made just 2 qts. last weekend and so far everyone that has tried it loves it and it is much different than a red picaunte sauce.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

MG, not sure how much heat your husband likes but if you want, you can cut the peppers down in the recipe. The good thing is, you can add the chopped dried Chile's on the end to pick it up a bit if it is too mild. I did that on the very first batch I made last weekend since it was a recipe I never tried and it turned out fine. My daughter and I both like things on the spicy side while the wife is not as tolerant but the batch I made suited us all. It's spicy but not enough to sear the esophagus.

The first batch I made yesterday is HOT and my daughter and I love it but the wife smelled it and said "No way."

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”