bwhite829

tip for those low carb dieters!

okay for those who are either on a low carb diet or are carb conscience for other reasons, here's a tip for alot of rice recipes.

toss a caulflower in a food processor and it can be substituted for alot of rice recipes. it really shines when rice is just added as a filler, but does okay for fried rice as well.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I agree that cauli is a very good sub for fried rice. :)

Lately, when I need a sub for something starchy, I turn to radishes! I toss red radishes in with pot roast, and dice them to add to stews. They can also be fried. But I'm finding I enjoy daikon radishes even more as a potato sub. I made hash browns from daikon yesterday, to go with my bacon and eggs. Oh, yum! [img]https://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Food/eating-43.gif[/img]

I still haven't found a good sub for mashed potatoes, yet, though. Mashed cauli just doesn't do it for me, unless I add a ton of cream cheese to it. :(

How long have you been lc? :)

bwhite829

I'm not a low carb dieter per say, but I try to eat healthy and try to find lower carb(which 95% of the time means healthier) alternatives when possible. I'd imagine turnip roots could make an alright alternative for mashed taters, and I've even experimented with little success with parsnips for mashed veggies. They DO make EXCELLENT subs for fries I must say

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Kisal...try using kohlerabi as a potato mash sub...:)

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”