krzyk4
Cool Member

What to do with Green Tomatoes?

We got frost on Friday morning so I had to pick all the tomatoes that I had ... very sad, I only got a handful of ripe cherry tomatoes .... now I have 3 grocery bags full of green tomatoes .... roma, mixed heirloom and cherry.

any ideas as to what to do with them?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Same thing happened to me last winter here in New Orleans. We had some unseasonably cold weather for several days in a row and my tomato plants froze. I wound up with about 125 green tomatoes. I fried a few, pickled 11 qts----some like bread and butter pickles and some like regular pickles.

The rest I gave to some relatives and friends for them to fry. They were a hit with them since most folks here eat their tomatoes ripe in a salad or on a po-boy sandwich.

krzyk4
Cool Member

Pickled?? never heard of such a thing with green tomatoes!! REALLY? I guess I can try that!! Thanks!!

krzyk4
Cool Member

huh! good tip, thanks :D

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

krzyk4 wrote:Pickled?? never heard of such a thing with green tomatoes!! REALLY? I guess I can try that!! Thanks!!

Do a quick on-line search for green tomato recipes. There are a lot of them. I like the "bread and butter" type pickling since it is a sweeter recipe. I find the bitterness of the green tomatoes combined with a regular dill/vinegar brine is a bit much for my taste.

krzyk4
Cool Member

I just did a search and oh my goodness, you're right!! I've never had green tomatoes so I guess I've never had to know .... I love the internet :D

Thanks!!

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”