Lylo
Newly Registered

Canning Lid Opener

I found this little tool at my grandparent's cabin in Minnesota. It's called "E-Z-LIFT". It works perfectly for ball jar lids. Google this patent number for more details (2,059,736) "Plier Type Friction-Cap Remover". First patented in 1885. I use ball jars for something a little different than most, I use them with a Foodsaver vacuum sealing system to store my spices. I can use the lids over and over as long as I don't dent the lids when I open them and this tool does the job. If I could figure out how to post a pic on this site I would.

applestar
Mod

lorax wrote:I label with water-soluble adhesive-backed labels, which I print on the computer. This way, I can just soak the jars when they're empty and the labels float away without leaving any icky residue, and my lids don't have sharpie on 'em (which I hate, especially when I go to relabel for pasta or 1/4" Robertson wood screws and there's already a big black gunky name up there proudly proclaiming that this jar is full of my Umma's kosher dills....)

I've also labeled by sharpie on gingham scraps, which I screw on over the actual lids. That's more for gift jars, though.
Not quite the same but Ball has come out with a new canning jar label -- no more sticky adhesive residue: https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Dissolvable-Labels-Set-Of/dp/B004NGVIIK/ref=pd_sim_k_49

This one too:
https://www.amazon.com/Bernardin-Canning-Labels-Dissolvable-60/dp/B004SCJ9OY/ref=pd_sbs_k_2

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I just use the back side of a knife. I pry between the thread that comes the closest to the lid and the lid. It pops right off and does not damage the lid so I can use it to put the jar in the frig if I have not used all of the jar.

Never reuse lids to can with but putting an open jar in the frig till it is gone is ok.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”