BP

What to do with hot banana peppers?

I let my first get to about 7 inches and it was unbearably hot. I know if I pick them smaller this won't happen, but other than salsa, what do I do with big ones? They will lose some hot if they are cooked right?

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27356&start=0[/url]

BP, here are some ways to preserve them. The dill pickle recipe has some substituting ingredients for making pepperoncini style pickled peppers! :()

You could also make jelly with them instead of Jalapenos.

BP

Thanks. I'm using small amounts to add some hot to meals. It will be some time before I have a bunch to pick

tinlizzy
Newly Registered

A fellow I work with puts his hot peppers in a dehydrator and dries completely but make sure you do this away from the living area as it will burn you up. After they are completely dry he grinds them in a coffee grinder to a fine size and uses old spice bottles as a pepper shaker. Works great for a little spice on eggs or sandwich just be careful how much you add.

ThePepperSeed
Cool Member

I dehydrate and grind my peppers too. I don't have any photos of my ground hot banana peppers but I treat them the same way I do my dried and ground super hot peppers. Nice when they are dried since the will keep (store in cool dark place) for years.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

LOL but if u use a coffee grinder to grind them and other spices, keep a separate one for hot spices and a separate one for regular spices, as u cannot always get all the dust and powder out of them, and DEFF do not use them to grind coffee anymore once u use them for spices....u'll know if u forget....u can buy small coffee grinders very inexpensive at places like walmart and such as well :)

nosta

WinglessAngel wrote:LOL but if u use a coffee grinder to grind them and other spices, keep a separate one for hot spices and a separate one for regular spices, as u cannot always get all the dust and powder out of them, and DEFF do not use them to grind coffee anymore once u use them for spices....u'll know if u forget....u can buy small coffee grinders very inexpensive at places like walmart and such as well :)
Very wise advice. I picked the wrong grinder out of the cupboard ONCE last summer. I now wait until I am semi-awake before grinding the coffee. :oops:

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

I have not myself made that mistake Nosta, but it sounds like u found out the hard way, poor u! not a good cup of joe I imagine that grinder made! LOL

nosta

yeah it was pretty bad. I had just dried and ground about 50 habaneros a week beforehand. The wife is a true Chili-head kinda liked it though. :shock:

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

LOL I'm sorry it is comical to imagine the look on your face when you tasted the coffee you made out of it, but I'm sorry you learned the hard way too! LOL

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”