Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Funny you asked, I just walked out of the kitchen from dealing with milk!

The buttermilk and lemon juice made it too acid, and it wouldn't even make curds! It just didn't work at all.

[img]https://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/Ozark_Lady/100_2779_phixr.jpg[/img]

I found out when it is too acid the curds can't stick together, and you get this odd looking mess. I used 1 quart of buttermilk to a gallon of whole milk. And heated it to 175, then added 1/4 cup of lemon juice, and that caused the graining, and was too much. Those portions might have worked with cow's milk, or with less acidic buttermilk. Most folks are not dealing with raw buttermilk.

So I threw it out.
At this moment, I have 3 (2 quart) tubs of flavored yogurt, thickening up in the fridge, 2 (2 quart) tubs of yogurt culturing, 1 (2 quart) tub of buttermilk and 1 quart of buttermilk culturing, I have about 2 gallons of milk on the stove ripening. I will make it without the lemon juice this time. (Editted to add: and 2 pints of cream thawing out to make butter)

And several quarts of yogurt and buttermilk still in the fridge.
And only 1 gallon of fresh milk.

I just wormed the goats today, so for a week, I will be feeding all milk to the dogs. Kind of good, it will give me a chance to clean out the fridge!

applestar
Mod

Hey, I remember you were asking for ideas on what to do with the wormed goats' milk. Feeding it to the dogs seems to serve a double-purpose. Great idea. I guess you can feed them to any other omnivorous and carnivorous pets and animals that would take milk, like cats and pigs, that also might (well actually they all do, don't they?) have GI pest issues. (Would that also be effective for intra- ... or is that inter- ... muscular and vascular worms too?)

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Actually so little wormer is passed in milk, it won't help the dogs.

Unfortunately, strongyles (sp?) are present in both and do pass in the milk. Hence, if you feed raw milk to dogs, you must worm them religiously or have wormy sick, anemic animals. Humans are not a host animal, so no we can't get them.

I used Ivomech which is actually used on humans, so we could use it for fresh drinking. But, I also have them on Sulfa meds to get rid of any coccidiosis that might have taken up residence in the goats. Coccidia will destroy an animals liver, so I really don't need that! I also have the dogs and chickens on Coccidiosis meds, this week... I figure when messing with them, do them all! Tee hee

Pests are very debilitating to all animals, so one must stay after them.

My cheese making book arrived. I now have 2 orders of cheesemaking supplies enroute, one due to arrive on the 3rd, not sure on the other.

And I ordered a replacement copy of Herbal Handbook for Farm and Stable... I love that book.

And it will tell me safer herbs to use in worming my animals and about my hedgerow. And then, as soon as I find a microscope, I will do my own fecals and can then tell if I am getting the pests or not!

If organic is my goal... what am I doing using pesicides on my animals?
I am using DE also as a back up to help minimize the vermin load, but I don't think it is getting them all, the animals are showing anemia.

They are basically healthy, just eyelids aren't the right color! Kind of like pale gums in dogs. I am reacting before they get sick, while they are fat, shiny, active, and doing well.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Cheese is setting.
But, we have Butter!
Ingredients: Cream skimmed off of milk, and stored in freezer until I had enough on hand to make butter.
Just put the cream in a canning jar, quart sized, and used one blade of the mixer, kept all the splatters in the jar!

Here the butter is being washed, that is water added to wash away milk residue..
[img]https://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/Ozark_Lady/100_2786_phixr.jpg[/img]

Water drained, and salt added.

And sample time:

[img]https://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/Ozark_Lady/100_2787_phixr.jpg[/img]

I know, you expect butter to be yellow... cow cream has yellow tones, goat milk does not have yellow in cheese or butter.
But it tastes like: butter... just butter.

KTamata
Newly Registered

I stumbled upon this buttermilk cheese recipe online. It couldn't be easier. Just pour buttermilk in a glass dish, let it sit in a warm oven 'til it separates, pour it into a cheesecloth lined colander, squeeze it a bit and it's cheese. It was particularly delicious with strawberry preserves on bagels or toast.

[url]https://www.jewishfood-list.com/recipes/chs/buttermilkchs01.html[/url]

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”