Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I have to finish the candied citrus peels, and get them dried, and stored.

And then, this milk, is burying me, so I definitely need to pull off of jelly making, and get some buttermilk, yogurt, and cheese made, I am running out of room with every shelf in the fridge full of milk!

Raw fresh milk keeps very well as long as the fridge is cold, it does not go bad half as fast as store-bought milk.

Hmmm, butter first...

My freezer is still full of blackberries, elderberries, plums, strawberries, and blueberries... I have to get back on syrup and jelly making pretty quick, to make some room!

I think I will thaw some venison and get some venison jerky on to marinade, to be dried!

My big freezer is an old timer, and it is not frost free, and it really needs to be defrosted, so I need my fridge freezer as well as the rest available to help protect the food while I do that job! Suppose to be hot tomorrow, defrosting a freezer... is a cool job!

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

What do y'all do with the syrups? How do you make and preserve them?

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Syrup is easy, when a jelly recipe fails, you have syrup!
My pepper jelly is syrup, I will use it in sweet and sour sauces, marinade etc. And double my pectin next time! ha ha Good thing the recipe that I used was 3/4 cup bell peppers and only 1/4 cup jalapeno, so it isn't hot.

You just extract the juices like you are going to make jelly and low pectin items no problem, just be sure it is acid enough to boiling water bath it, add the same sugar as for jelly, but don't cook it to the jelly stage. For me jelly is 220 if there is enough pectin, so high pectin fruit juices I would cook to 210. Then I just boiling water can it.

Lots of fruits that don't have pectin, do still have alot of acid. Or, lemon juice to the rescue!

applestar
Mod

The PLUM SYRUP I'm making is a bit different. This recipe is for just blushing unripe plums. You don't want them to be too green, but you don't want them to be too ripe because then they'll ferment too easily.

Prepare equal amount by weight washed plums and sugar (I used organic cane sugar).
After general washing, I soak the fruits in salty water for about 5 minutes, then rinse. This is my own innovation. I've no idea if this has any advantage, but it seemed like a good idea.
Carefully pick out any stem with bamboo skewers. You can avoid this step if you yank side ways to pull the fruit off the stems when picking the plums.
I'm using 1/2 gallon sterilized canning jars, which is a convenient size.
Layer the bottom with sugar.

With a fork, stab/prick all over each fruit. Drop them in the jar as you process. Build layers of sugar and fruit, ending with good sized layer of sugar.

Keep in a (cool) dark place. You'll see the sugar melt as juice is extracted from the fruits. Give a good thorough shake twice a day to help dissolve the sugar that has sunk to the bottom. You want to do this for 8~10 days. Occasionally burp the jar in case some fermentation takes place and gas builds up. Small amount of bubbling is OK. Mold is not OK.

The plums become all wrinkled by the end of the extraction period. I dump the whole thing in a pot. Swirling a couple of times and using the fruits to help dredge and scrape up the sugar. Remove the plums to a strainer set of a bowl. Return any liquid to pot. Heat to boiling until the sugar melts completely, then simmer for 5~10 minutes (Would 10 minutes be better?) skimming off scum.

I let the syrup cool a bit, then poured into canning jars and hot water processed them for storage. Now I don't remember how long -- I might have mentioned it somewhere else. Maybe 10 minutes, but my jars were 12 oz.

The syrup is used as beverage base. 1 part syrup and 4 parts water over 3 ice cubes. Float a sprig or leaf of mint. Obviously, other recipes can be used :wink: Also good as sweetener in tea and great addition to a fruit-yogurt smoothie.

I put the wrinkled plums in the dehydrator for 24 hours. Not quite prunes -- came out chewy/crunchy and the kids love them.

I'm trying the same concept on chunks of green apples using brown sugar right now. I also have a second batch of slightly more colored plums. This weekend for the plums, another week for the apples.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Okay, I have been hard at it... starting to gain on some of you canners!

Lets see I have canned: tomato marmalade, orange marmalade, salsa, elderberry jelly, plum butter, plum strawberry butter. Pepper jelly, syrup whatever it is!

I dehydrated tomatoes and okra, about to add some potatoes to the list.

I have homemade peach ice cream setting up in the freezer.
And cheese dripping at the moment, this is a really simple frying cheese, you coat it and fry it in hot oil...ymmm.
I have yogurt aging...

I think I will go ahead and make some mozarella, and maybe some more cream cheese to get some milk used up.

And I think it is time to crank the old pressure canner up and get some milk canned, and make up some soups to clear out my deep freeze, there is just no room left in there.

The peaches are beginning to ripen, so I have a tub of them to get made into ... into what... more jam, but a tree full of jam? Hmmm what else to do with peaches?

My candied orange peels were a big hit, they didn't last the day.
So, all you orange eaters out there, quit wasting those peels! Candied orange peel is so easy!

Candied Orange Peel

Ingredients
3 oranges
1 cup sugar
Directions
Using a citrus zester or vegetable peeler, shred long strips of orange peel.
Place strips in a medium saucepan. Cover with cold water, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Drain; repeat two more times with fresh water.

Place sugar in a clean saucepan with 1 1/2 cups water; stir to combine. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar has dissolved, about 3 minutes. Add the citrus strips to the boiling syrup; reduce heat, and simmer until strips are translucent, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat; let strips cool in syrup, at least 1 hour. Drain the strips and roll in sugar, I actually just store the peels in a container with the sugar in it, the peels flavor the sugar too.

They kind of taste like that gelatin candy with all the sugar on the outside, orange slices is that what it is called?

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Did I put a peach chutney recipe on here? Perty tasty stuff specially on grilled pork. You can make peach wine( if you're into that?), halved peaches in heavy syrup, peach ketchup! Mmmmmmmm. I do believe peach ice cream and peach fro-yo are my absolute FAVORITE flavors!!!

hit or miss
Green Thumb

I just looked at the tally, 432 assorted pints so far this year! Here is a new recipe for peaches we just tried, woweee!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's good! :shock:

Peach Rum Sauce
6 cups chopped pitted peeled peaches
treat them to prevent browning
2 cups lightly packed brown sugar
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup rum, we used spiced rum
1 tsp grated lemon zest

Combine peaches, brown sugar, sugar, rum and lemon zest. Bring to a boil over high heat, stir, stir, stir until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat and boil gently, stir once in a while, until thickened, about 20 minutes.

Fill jars to 1/4" headspace and process pints for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath canner.

It didn't thicken up too much but is oh so good!

I'm thinkin' angel food cake or pound cake doused in sauce is in my future!

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

432! Wow! Okay, I am still in the lower 10%, ha ha.

The frozen ice cream is peach, yogurt ice cream. No recipe, just kind of mad scientist type thing! :twisted: I made 2-2 quart containers of it.
I have a grandson who requested more yogurt, and he wanted peach, he should like this.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Linsday on the pepper jelly am I correct to hear you mixing up peppers in the batch and not just jalapeno's?

Is it better with just Jalapenos or do you normally mix in other peppers. I have several colors of sweet bells as well as banana, poblano and something else I'm not quite sure of. :wink: What do you suggest any, all, just a mix, straight up jalapenos?

Thanks

Dono

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

The peppers that I used looked like hot peppers, but they had no fire.
Use what you have, then taste test it before you can it up.
I had to add alot of hot sauce to mine, wonder if that is why it is syrup?
But, I can use it in other things, not a loss.
Poblano's can be hot enough to get your attention, and banana peppers get hot at the end of the season, so don't count them out.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I have made it both ways. Its good both ways. I like hot stuff so I made mine with all ripe jalapenos. I even " forget" to take some of the seeds and membranes out :() The important thing to remember, is to make sure you have 2 cups of chopped peppers, what ever combination you decide! It is delicious with any combination!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks OL and Lindsay. I too like it hot, but my scale of hot and others are not the same. What I think is hot others find torturous and just plain wrong. I buy the hot sauces you have to be 18 to purchase or have to sign waivers for before buying. I don't want to make a whole bunch of something that no one will eat but me. My hot sauces may last me a year or 2-3. When just a dab will do you they go a long way.

I will see how many jalapenos I have when I make it but I'm sure there will be something to fill the emptiness if need be.

:D

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

If you have enough peppers, you could make a mild sauce for folks who don't like it so hot, and a hotter version for yourself!

Make 2 separate batches!

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Just GO FOR IT!!! LOL It's not that hot, really. I tasted on of the peppers before I cooked them, and it was SCREAMING but the finished product just gives a little back heat. Not even as hot as hot sauce (which I LOVE!!! my favorite is Cholula :) )

I love that tastes are so subjective. None so much as spiciness. I have a friend up in PA, that I went to school with, that broke into a sweat when he ate KETCHUP! LOL Could you imagine :()

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Oh yeah, I can imagine. There is a spicy ketchup that is non-edible.
There used to be one: Brooks tangy ketchup, and it was awful, it was spicy ketchup...yuck.
For some odd reason I don't like hot spices with ketchup.
Of course, I don't like stuff particularly hot, store bought mild salsa is too hot. But if you mix it with a can of tomato sauce you can tame it.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Honeyed Applesauce

makes about 6 pints

Some crisper apples wont break down completely and will lend a chunky style applesauce. I prefer taste over texture. Also use a honey that you like the taste of, because it has a definite presence in the finished product.

6 lbs apples
2 cups apple juice or cider
1 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon (or to taste) Optional
a pinch of nutmeg Optional

Prepare canner, jars, and lids.

Combine the apple juice, water, and lemon juice in a large pot and set aside. Peel core and chop apples into 1 inch cubes and place them in the apple juice mixture as you work to prevent browning. Bring the apple mixture to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium low and continue cooking at a simmer until apple are very soft. About 30-50 minutes. Stir often to prevent scorching.

Mash the apples thoroughly with a potato masher until a smooth consistency is reached. Stir in the honey and the spices and then cook at a simmer for 15 more minutes. Stir constantly!

Remove from heat. Ladle hot sauce into hot sterilized jars, leaving a 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace back to 1/4 inch with more hot sauce. WIPE RIMS! Place lids and tighten bands to fingertip tight. Process in boiling water canner for 20 minutes. Remove lid and turn off heat. Let sit for 5 minutes, then remove jars. Cool, wipe and store.

Great with everything from pancakes to porkchops. Or mixed into yogurt or cottage cheese.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Apple Butter

Makes 7 8oz jars

5 lbs apples
2 cups apple juice or cider
1 1/2-2 cups packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground clove
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Prepare jars, lids and canner.

Peel, core, and chop apples and combine with apple juice in a large pot.

Cook over medium low heat at a simmer for 20 minutes or until apples are very tender. Process in a blender, sieve or food mill to a smooth texture.

Measure the puree back into your preserving pot and add 1/2 to 2/3 cups packed brown sugar for each cup of puree. Add the lemon juice and mix well. Cook over low heat stirring very frequently for 35 to 45 minutes or until thickened. During the last 10-15 minutes of cooking add spices. Remove from heat.

Ladle hot butter into hot sterile jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. release bubbles and adjust headspace back to 1/4 inch with more butter. WIPE RIMS. Place lids and bands and tighten to fingertip tight. Process jars in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars from water. Cool, wipe and store

Fruit butters are as good with grilled and roasted meats as they are on your morning bagels. I have made this with pears also and it totally changes the flavor and texture. Both are amazing! They are also a good bit healthier than jams and jellies and the flavors are more intensly fruity. I like this spread best on hot toast with peanut butter...drool...

hit or miss
Green Thumb

I'm enjoying the recipes! We're up to 621 pints so far this summer, apples, pears and soups are waiting in the wings! :D Deer season is getting close too! Maybe another batch of "end of the garden" pickles too! :shock: The maters have slowed down to almost nothing now also.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

hit or miss wrote:I'm enjoying the recipes! We're up to 621 pints so far this summer
I guess that trumps my 3 pints. :oops: :roll: :lol:

But keep those recipes coming. There is always next year.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Thanks! Yeah, I thought I would at least get some green toms out before frost, but not this year. They burnt up pretty bad in theheat and drought... Got enough to can some crushed and some sauce and some soup mix and that was it. I usually have a good bit more than I had this year. Bad year for toms, but great year for okra,peas, beans, beets and fruits. We are swimming in jams and chutneys and butters. GREAT year for peppers I wish I had planted WAY more!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

When it froze on September 6 I thought I was doomed as far as tomatoes go. Fortunately only the top leaves got frozen and the vines and fruit did not. I covered the patch and even though it has frozen a couple of times since the first one, the fruit is ripening. I picked 2 5 gal buckets full Wednesday. They were nice and ripe today, so I made tonato juice. I have 14 quarts done and it looks like I have about 5 or 6 more quarts to go.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Jim,

Would you mind sharing your recipe?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The recipe is in the Ball Blue Book.

ChrisHaycox
Newly Registered

Awesome! Thanks a bunch for the recipes....

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”