LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Honeyed Applesauce

makes about 6 pints

Some crisper apples wont break down completely and will lend a chunky style applesauce. I prefer taste over texture. Also use a honey that you like the taste of, because it has a definite presence in the finished product.

6 lbs apples
2 cups apple juice or cider
1 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon (or to taste) Optional
a pinch of nutmeg Optional

Prepare canner, jars, and lids.

Combine the apple juice, water, and lemon juice in a large pot and set aside. Peel core and chop apples into 1 inch cubes and place them in the apple juice mixture as you work to prevent browning. Bring the apple mixture to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium low and continue cooking at a simmer until apple are very soft. About 30-50 minutes. Stir often to prevent scorching.

Mash the apples thoroughly with a potato masher until a smooth consistency is reached. Stir in the honey and the spices and then cook at a simmer for 15 more minutes. Stir constantly!

Remove from heat. Ladle hot sauce into hot sterilized jars, leaving a 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace back to 1/4 inch with more hot sauce. WIPE RIMS! Place lids and tighten bands to fingertip tight. Process in boiling water canner for 20 minutes. Remove lid and turn off heat. Let sit for 5 minutes, then remove jars. Cool, wipe and store.

Great with everything from pancakes to porkchops. Or mixed into yogurt or cottage cheese.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Apple Butter

Makes 7 8oz jars

5 lbs apples
2 cups apple juice or cider
1 1/2-2 cups packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground clove
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Prepare jars, lids and canner.

Peel, core, and chop apples and combine with apple juice in a large pot.

Cook over medium low heat at a simmer for 20 minutes or until apples are very tender. Process in a blender, sieve or food mill to a smooth texture.

Measure the puree back into your preserving pot and add 1/2 to 2/3 cups packed brown sugar for each cup of puree. Add the lemon juice and mix well. Cook over low heat stirring very frequently for 35 to 45 minutes or until thickened. During the last 10-15 minutes of cooking add spices. Remove from heat.

Ladle hot butter into hot sterile jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. release bubbles and adjust headspace back to 1/4 inch with more butter. WIPE RIMS. Place lids and bands and tighten to fingertip tight. Process jars in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars from water. Cool, wipe and store

Fruit butters are as good with grilled and roasted meats as they are on your morning bagels. I have made this with pears also and it totally changes the flavor and texture. Both are amazing! They are also a good bit healthier than jams and jellies and the flavors are more intensly fruity. I like this spread best on hot toast with peanut butter...drool...

hit or miss
Green Thumb

I'm enjoying the recipes! We're up to 621 pints so far this summer, apples, pears and soups are waiting in the wings! :D Deer season is getting close too! Maybe another batch of "end of the garden" pickles too! :shock: The maters have slowed down to almost nothing now also.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

hit or miss wrote:I'm enjoying the recipes! We're up to 621 pints so far this summer
I guess that trumps my 3 pints. :oops: :roll: :lol:

But keep those recipes coming. There is always next year.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Thanks! Yeah, I thought I would at least get some green toms out before frost, but not this year. They burnt up pretty bad in theheat and drought... Got enough to can some crushed and some sauce and some soup mix and that was it. I usually have a good bit more than I had this year. Bad year for toms, but great year for okra,peas, beans, beets and fruits. We are swimming in jams and chutneys and butters. GREAT year for peppers I wish I had planted WAY more!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

When it froze on September 6 I thought I was doomed as far as tomatoes go. Fortunately only the top leaves got frozen and the vines and fruit did not. I covered the patch and even though it has frozen a couple of times since the first one, the fruit is ripening. I picked 2 5 gal buckets full Wednesday. They were nice and ripe today, so I made tonato juice. I have 14 quarts done and it looks like I have about 5 or 6 more quarts to go.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Jim,

Would you mind sharing your recipe?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The recipe is in the Ball Blue Book.

ChrisHaycox
Newly Registered

Awesome! Thanks a bunch for the recipes....

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”