Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Elderberry recipes

I took a photo of my elderberries today. Looks like they are ready for cooking!
[img]https://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/Ozark_Lady/000_0331_phixr.jpg[/img]

Elderberry Fritters

Batter:
1.5 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
2/3 cup milk
1 egg, well beaten
(2 tsp sugar optional)
( cinnamon, clove and nutmeg, optional)
Flowers:
24 elderberry flowers, all large stems removed, washed, drained, and patted dry
Powdered sugar
Oil or fat for frying

Sift together the dry ingredients. Mix egg and milk together, mix them together and blend smooth.
Heat oil to 375 degrees.
Dip flowers in batter let drain for a second, then fry a few at a time. When golden brown remove to paper towels, and keep warm.
Sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
(optional base for other toppings, like elderberry jam, ice cream, etc.)

applestar
Mod

Ooh. Sounds yummy! :D

I have a dilemma. Some years I get plenty of flowers, but most of the time, I have to choose between the flowers or the berries. Last year, we forewent (is that a word?) the Elderberry Flower Juice (syrup) because the kids voted for Elderberry Jelly instead. :wink:

Fortunately, I have a new shrub growing in a totally unexpected area, and another one started bearing heavily last year. Only trouble is that this one is a very tall-grower, for some reason, and recently, I noticed that the new spring shoots are already in t the tree branches (12~15' high!) Well, actually that's the problem: it's not out in the open, and the taller shoots get snagged in the lower branches so that they don't arch down. :idea:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Don't you get alot of little elderberries every year?

Since I lost my two large patches, I have been watching for them, and I found two patches that I didn't know that I had, and they are going to bloom. But, they are understory plants there, so the blooms won't amount to much. But, hey, I can always transplant the baby elderberries that come up from those too!

When I dig and move them, would you like some more elderberries? That clump is at least 15 years old, and about 6-7 feet tall, but the blooms pull the tops down to my reach!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I make wine out of Elderberries. I drive along the country roads in August stop and pick elderberries in 5 gallon buckets. When I get home I sqeeze out the juice with my wine press. Then I make wine. I let it age about 2 to 3 years then it is ready to drink. I made 10 gallons 56 bottles of elderberry wine 5 years ago I still have about 15 bottles left.

I hear Elderberries make good jelly and pies.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Elderberry Capers

[img]https://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/Ozark_Lady/000_0354_phixr.jpg[/img]

2 cups unripe elderberries, stems removed.
¼ cup salt
1 cup water
¼ cup sugar
1 cup cider vinegar

1. Wash the berries, drain, place in sterile crock.
2. Dissolve the salt in water, pour over the berries. Cover and let stand for 2 days.
3. Drain berries and pour into sterile half pint jars.
4. Boil sugar and vinegar for 2-3 minutes. Pour into jars (jars should be full to the top) and seal at once.

Makes 2 half-pint jars.

This recipe is from a book, I would recommend you refrigerate these, or after you put the lids on, go ahead and use boiling water canner to insure safety. Just follow any pickle canning guide.

Use these like any other capers in your salads and recipes.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”