6 tablespoons butter, divided
1 cup chopped onions or white leek portions
8 cups loosely packed radish leaves
2 cups diced peeled potatoes
6 cups water, chicken stock or combination
Salt
1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
Freshly ground pepper

Melt 4 tablespoons butter in large saucepan, add onions, and cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in radish tops, cover, and cook over low heat until wilted, 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, cook potatoes until soft in water or stock with 1 teaspoon salt. Combine with radish tops and cook, covered, 5 minutes to mingle flavors. Puree in food processor or blender. Add cream and remaining butter, if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot. (Note: To serve cold, omit butter enrichment.)

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

That sounds good, and I have some radishes growing right now.

I have never tasted the tops, but seems like a good way to sample them.

Does it matter at what size you sample the tops? I know in other leaves the maturity matters.

Does the leaf taste like the radish? I guess that I need to go bite one! ha ha Or can you eat them fresh?

rstanza

I like the smaller ones but Use any that are green, the stems tend to get a little chewey, I use them in a fresh salad with just green onion, Garlic, and salad dressing also

katylaide
Cool Member

I tried this recipe, it's SENSATIONAL. My dad, who's been gardening since he was 8, knew that radish tops were edible but had never eaten them until I gave him this soup. He really liked it.

rstanza

I hate throwing anything away! I've enjoyed these as a fresh salad also, Ron

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

great to know!! totally did not know you could eat the tops as well---I will be making salads out of them etc all summer long LOL I love a veggie that is so versatile you can eat tops and all...so my kohlerabi brussel sprouts and radishes are all top leaf and bottom bulb veggies to be eaten yay! btw does anyone know if you can eat cauliflower leaves as well? just thought I would throw that one out there lol also, I plan on eating my carrot greens as well...didn't know that till this year as well LOL

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”