Greener Thumb

Bread Recipes

This is how I make onion/garlic bread or rolls:

Dough:
1 1/2 cups water
1 pinch sugar
1 tablespoon yeast
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil ( more for crumble, less for tougher bread)
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
4-5 cups flour

Filling:
1 whole onion (sliced into rings)
1 whole garlic (each clove peeled and sliced or smashed)
2-3 T butter

Butter: To serve with the bread, and/ or to brush on the top. (I often double this and use it for both.)
Warm 2 T butter in a heavy pan, add fresh chives, and garlic or garlic powder (powder sometimes will stick and burn and taste a bit bitter, so if using powder wait until you are done cooking the chives to add it)
Cook just until the chives go limp. Add more butter if needed, you want enough to top up the onion rolls or onion bread.

Directions:

Sprinkle yeast in 1/4 cup warm water with a pinch of sugar.

Let rest 5 minutes.

Mix in remaining ingredients and 1/2 the flour.

Beat well with wooden spoon, slowly stir in remaining flour. (When adding flour I start with a full cup, as the dough takes shape I only add a 1/2 cup at a time. Too much flour at once can make for very dry tough bread.)

Knead 8 minutes and add more flour if sticky.

Let rise until double in bulk (about 2 hour). Punch down.

While the bread is rising, put the butter in a heavy skillet, add the onions and garlic, stirring constantly until the onions are translucent and the garlic begins to turn golden. Turn off heat and let it cool.

Let rest 5 minutes.

Divide the dough into two pieces. Place on floured board, spread it out, by patting or rolling it. Take half of the cool onion, garlic mix, and spread it out evenly over the surface of the dough. Start at one end and roll it up jelly roll fashion. Now you can turn the ends under and fit it into a loaf pan, leave it long and put in a French bread pan, or even slice it off like cinnamon rolls and place these in a pan.

Let raise until double in bulk (about 1 hour). Bake at 350'F 35 for rolls or 45-50 minutes for bread.

Brush crust with garlic butter and chives while still warm. (For a crispy crust omit this step.) (For a more tender crust, roll your loaves up in a towel to cool. Or place a towel over the pan of rolls.)

Bread Machine instructions:
(edited to add: check your bread machine size, this recipe makes 2 loaves, for single loaf machines use half the recipe, I have tried it the other way, what a mess!)

Place bread ingredients in bread machine. Turn it on.
While it mixes, cook the onions and garlic in butter.
When the bread machine beeps to add fruits, add the garlic mix.
Let the machine complete cooking cycle.
You still have the same options when the bread is done.

Fun option:
Sometimes, I take some mozzarella cheese and add it to the bread, just before I roll it up. This makes a nice filling of cheese and onions.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Sure sounds yummy. I like garlic bread.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

That sounds like heaven.

I must remember this.

Thanks Ol

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

try this recipe and use ur own garlic butter mix to make garlic bread...somewhat labor intensive but it works!

French Bread Baguette: Makes 2 Baguettes:

Ingredients:

6 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1 egg white
1 tablespoon water

Note:

Keep a watchful eye on your dough as it's rising, my rising times are significantly short than the recipe calls for, but my house is kept at 76 degrees and all my rising times are shortened for breads, but we also live in ohio, and times are also subject to outside air pressure and climate as well.

The ice water called for in a bowl below the bread helps to keep a soft chewy texture within the bread and a crispy flaky crust on the outside. This recipe can be baked without it, but trust me it's a big help!

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast and salt. Stir in 2 cups warm water, and beat until well blended using a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
On a lightly floured surface, knead in enough flour to make a stiff dough that is smooth and elastic. Knead for about 8 to 10 minutes total. Shape into a ball. Place dough in a greased bowl, and turn once. Cover, and let rise in a warm place until doubled.
Punch dough down, and divide in half. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover, and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll each half into large rectangle. Roll up, starting from a long side. Moisten edge with water and seal. Taper ends. (I just spray the dough with water with a spritzer after it's rolled out then no messing with edges)
Grease a large baking sheet. Sprinkle with cornmeal. Place loaves, seam side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Lightly beat the egg white with 1 tablespoon of water, and brush on. Let rise until nearly doubled, 35 to 40 minutes (the inside of ur oven with the light on is plenty warm enough)
With a very sharp knife, make diagonal cuts about 1/4 inch deep across top of each loaf, about every 4". Bake with an Ice Water Bowl In A Glass Bowl (About 1 C of Ice, or a large handful of ice) Below The Bread (place a non greased baking pan on the bottom rack of your oven while preheating and then place your glass bowl with the ice on top right before putting the baguettes in the oven to bake.... Then Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) oven for 20 minutes. Brush again with egg white mixture. Bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until bread tests done. Remove from baking sheet, and cool on a wire rack.

Somewhat a lot of work, but the bread turns out great every time as long as you follow the steps correctly. I freeze the extra baguette in the freezer wrapped in tin foil.

To make garlic bread with it, after it cools completely, slice evenly straight down the middle with a good shart bread knife and tap off the crumbs, slather with your fav garlic butter herb recipe, and broil until crispy golden brown :)

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”