Brendasu

Soup Recipes

Keilbasa Soup

5 lb. Keilbasa, sliced into 1/4" rings
3 lb. potatoes, washed (& peeled if desired) cut into 1" cubes
1 lb. potatoes, washed (& peeled if desired) cut into 1/4" cubes (these will fall apart making the soup thick)
3-5 tablespoons beef base, the real stuff not boullion
1-2 onions, peeled & chopped
7-8 stalks celery, chopped
Garlic, S & P to taste

In large stockpot place all ingredients. Add water to cover vegetables & bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium for 10 minutes. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve with italian or garlic bread.

Quick, easy meal the kids love. For variation, add cabbage for a cabbage soup.

Serves 8-12, varies with appetites
Last edited by Brendasu on Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brendasu

Broccoli Soup (or spinach if you prefer)

2 large bags frozen broccoli crowns, or fresh broccoli equivilant
3-4 lb potatoes, washed (& peeled if desired), cut into 1/2" cubes
2 medium onions, peeled & chopped
Milk ~ 1/2 gallon or so as described below
2 lb american cheese (Velveeta works, too), amount may vary
Chicken Soup Base to taste, approx 3 T, the real stuff not boullion (vegetable base works, too)
Garlic, S&P to taste

In large stock pot add potatoes, onions & broccoli. Add water to just cover. Boil for 10-15 minutes until fork inserted into potatoes goes in easy.

Remove about 1/2 the water and replace with milk, to cover vegetables. Add soup base. Bring to just under a boil, then immediately reduce heat. Add cheese slowly, melting it into the liquid, while stirring constantly. Stop adding cheese after desired consistency is reached (we like a lot of cheese). Add Garlic, S&P to taste.

This is a favorite on the holidays, and go's great with ham or chicken.

Serves 8-12, varying by appetite or other course entree's

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

What is a keilbasa? Animal, vegetable or mineral?

Brendasu

Keilbasa is ground up beef, but sometimes turkey or pork. Hillshire farms or our local Martin Rosol are 2 name brands. It's made into long links looking similar to sausage, only redder, and often in the form of an elongated horseshoe. A more common dish you may have heard of is Keilbasa & saurkraut. Keilbasa is a common main dish for Easter (around here anyways).
Brendasue

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I have never heard of it in any recipe, hence my question.

Is it spicy or would any ground meat work in place of it?

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Kielbasa is a smoked sausage. Think bratwurst, not ground beef if you can't find it.

Brendasu

You can use any meat, really, but then it wouldn't be kielbasa soup-something about it melds together the flavors. We use it for quick mid-week meals-not a lot of effort to make it & great while multi-tasking.

alenshowbrizz
Newly Registered

Indian spicy tomato soup

Tomato 300 gms, chopped
Arhar dal 4 tablespoon
Tamarind 20 gms
Ghee 2 tablespoons
Mustard seeds ¼ teaspoon
Rasam powder 1 teaspoon
Pepper corns ¼ teaspoon, crushed
Curry leaves 2 sprigs
Coriander leaves a small bunch
Red chilli 2
Asfoetida a pinch
Salt to taste

Lehcar

The reason I grow cabbage......

Cabbage and Kielbasa Soup

2 tbsp. butter
1 lb. kielbasa, sliced
1 med. onion, chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped (including leaves)
6 c. cabbage, shredded (about 2 heads, use one red and one green for a colorful soup, does not work well with Napa cabbage, go classic cabbage varieties here)
2 c. carrots, sliced or chopped (I personally don't like biting into carrot slices so I chop them up)
1 large bay leaf
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 c. vinegar (red wine works beautifully)
1/4 c. maple syrup
2 c. beef stock
5 c. water
3 to 4 c. russet potatoes cut to bite-sized, uniform pieces

Melt butter in large soup pot (really big one, this recipe makes enough to freeze and it freezes very well). Add onion and celery, cook until tender.

Dump everything else EXCEPT potatoes into the pot. Wow. That's a giant pot of soup. But you, as a lover of cabbage, know that cabbage cooks down to more than half of its original volume so you don't worry. 8)

Now... put your spoon away for 45 min to an hour. Leave on med-low to simmer and let flavors mingle before you begin your salt/pepper-ing.

Adjust seasonings. Add salt/pepper to taste, add vinegar or syrup to adjust sweetness or tang to your preferences.

Let simmer another 45 min to an hour. Taste good? Then add your potatoes, cook until they're soft but not too mushy (roughly another 30 min) and serve!

I really like a big tang to this soup so I wait to add more vinegar to my personal bowls of soup and my hubby likes it sweeter so he adds a little more syrup to his bowl.

This is one of those "warm-you-up" soups but isn't heavy at all so you don't feel like hibernating after eating it, haha.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”