Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Chicken Recipes

We used to love the chicken at a buffet restaurant that we ate at alot.
One day, I asked the owner if it was a trade secret it was not.
I don't know how it got its name or the history, only this is what I was told.
Chicken Monterey
Take you chicken, remove the skins. Most breasts are used. And pounding them out is optional.
Place them in a container deep enough to completely cover them with marinade.
The marinade is simply French Dressing. Let it set in fridge overnight.
Then just grill that chicken, using the marinade to baste it.
Do not eat the marinade unless you cook it first, it has raw chicken bits and juices in it!
I usually reserve some French Dressing not used in the marinade and just cook it down a bit in a saucepan to make a sauce for it.
Some folks like to add a bit of pepper to this to spice it up a bit.
It is tasty, juicy, and really tender.
When in winter I don't grill it. I just cook it in the oven on 350-400 degrees until meat thermometer shows that it is done, again basting with the marinade.
I serve it with duchess potatoes, brussel sprouts, and some homemade yeast bread.

webmaster
Site Admin

This is my recipe. It's made using a chicken that's had the skin removed and fat trimmed then cut into pieces at the butcher shop. I created this recipe after experimenting with many other recipes.

Step 1 - The marinade
For the buttermilk marinade:
2 cups buttermilk
1 large onion sliced into thick slices
A teaspon of parsley tarragon, thyme
1/2 teaspoon paprika

Step two
Marinade chicken overnight in the fridge within a covered non-metal container.

Step 3
The next day
1 Cup flour
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt

Mix the above ingredients in a plastic bag or one of those plastic reusable containers by Gladware.

Step 4
Drain the chicken in a colander then pull them out one by one (allowing some of the milk and herbs to stick to the chicken) and shake the pieces in the flour mixture then lay them down in a glass pan that's big enough to hold all the pieces without having to stack them. Allow them to sit for a half hour or an hour in the refrigerator.

Step 5
What's going to happen is the flour is going to cling tightly to the chicken after it's sat in the refrigerator awhile. You can proceed to frying the chicken and it will turn out fine. Or you can give it one more batter, which is what I like to do, so there's a lot of satisfying crunchiness to it. :)

Ingredients
one egg lightly beaten in a bowl until it's mixed together
1 cup flour
1 beer
1 cup ice cold water
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (garlic powder, not garlic salt)

Slowly add beer and flour together. The batter should be very runny. If it's at all thick then it's too thick. What we're after is a runny and watery batter. This will make it light and crunchy as opposed to a dense shell. Which is where the cold water comes in. I usually have to add a little water in to get it runny enough.

I always test the batter out by dredging something small in the batter and dropping it in the hot oil. If it looks good then coat a chicken piece and place it in the hot oil. If it comes out ok then do the rest of them. If it looks too thick then add more water.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

What do you do with the onion slices that were in the marinade?

I just wonder, what if you drained them too, and then dipped them in your final batter, and fried them up.

I bet your final batter would make some awesome onion rings.

webmaster
Site Admin

I throw the onion pieces away out of concern of possible contamination issues from being in proximity to raw chicken for 24 hours.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I think you could cook them, as long as they are cooked long enough to be really done. The chicken was also in contact with itself! I don't know, and agree if in doubt, not worth it. But, you might time how long to cook the chicken pieces, and if the onions used in the marinade cooked long enough they would be safe. I am thinking along the line that raw onions and celery are cooked with raw chicken or turkey when you bake them.

You could use fresh onion slices with the batter.

alenshowbrizz
Newly Registered

If talk about chicken recipes so I love chicken recipes, Chicken recipes is good test with spicy, I like most chicken curry and fry lags.Eggs items is also I like very much, But If you want to eat good test in chicken recipes so just to make chicken curry with Indian style.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I got this chicken recipe about a month ago it is really good. This is so good it is unreal.

3 chicken breast skinned and trim off fat. Cut into 3/4" cubes to stir fly.
1/2 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp thyme
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp curry powder (BA CHUOG VANG)
1/2 tsp Mrs Dask Onion & Herb
1 tsp Fine Herbs
2 tablespoons olive oil.

#1. Cook chicken in olice oil then add the spices. Serve as main dish with 2 or 3 side dishes of vegatables.

#2. Cook chicken in olive oil then add the spices and stir then add 2 tsp flour and 1/2 cup of half/half cream to make a sauce pour over pasta noodles or spaghetti or make stuffed baked potato.

Scarecrow

OL, I just tried the Chicken Monterey you posted about and it is great!

I made it a few days ago and again last night!

Thanks,

Scarecrow

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Chicken Garam Masala

2 lbs chicken (white meat) cut into small bite size pieces.
2 tablespoons white vinegar.
Marnade 10 minutes.

1 cup of yogurt.
1 tsp red chili powder.
1 tsp Paprika.
2 tsp Garam Masala.
3/4 tsp salt.
Mix in the chicken and marnade in the frig for 6 hours.

2 cups Jasmine Rice....non sticky rice.
4 cups water.
2 tsp salt.
Rinse rice 2 times disguard rinse water. Then bring to a boil in a pot with a lid. Remove from heat let it set while you cook dinner or 30 to 45 minutes.

1 tablespoon of olive oil.
1 cup of onion slices.
Cook onion until it carmalizes to a nice golden brown color. Remove from heat.

2 tablespoon olive oil.
2 tablespoons garlic about 8 to 12 cloves sliced and dices until paste.
2 Tablespoons ginger root sliced and diced until paste.
1 1/2 cups tomatoes. Juice whole tomatoes with skin in kitchen blender.
Heat oil until hot. Add garlic and ginger stir until it starts to change color about 45 seconds then add tomatoes. Stir on high heat to evaporate all the water in the tomatoes. Stir do not let it burn. When tomato has turned to paste add the chicken and cook until tender. Add the cooked onion and stir well serve over rice sprinkle with chopped Cilantro.

This is so good it is unreal.

ChrisHaycox
Newly Registered

Yummy! Another great recipe thread. Thanks a bunch..

Cheers

:roll:

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”