katylaide
Cool Member

Radish recipes?

I'm planning to grow some radishes because my dad had a whole bunch of plants which went to seed, and I'm a new gardener so radishes might be a bit less ambitious than what I have been
(somewhat unsuccessfully) trying. The problem is I don't like radishes! Anyone else have this problem? My parents eat them in vinegar, I don't know if that's a normal way to eat them or what. I understand they're usually put in salads (the variety is French Breakfast by the way). ANYWAY, does anyone have a radish recipe that might introduce me to radishes in a gentle way, perhaps something you feed your kids to sneak some veggies into their diets?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Believe it or not, you can fry them. They're quite good. I've even tossed them in soups and stews on occasion. They're somewhat like potatoes when cooked.

If you want all the heat out of them, you have to parboil them for about 5 minutes first, then immediately immerse them in ice water to stop the cooking. After that, you can cook them any way you want. Otherwise, they have just a tiny bit of spiciness to them.

Different, and maybe weird to some people, but kind of fun. I like cooked radishes. :)

applestar
Mod

The Japanese daikon radishes are spicy like the little red radishes when raw, but taste somewhat sweet and are excellent in soups and stews. Daikon contains digestive enzymes and is good to eat with "rich" foods. I believe regular radishes also contain these enzymes. I use them in soups/stews, too, like Kisal said. Try them with chicken legs, pork, beef chuck. Also combines really well with tofu and fried tofu.

Daikon boiled with konbu (kelp) is really good with sweet miso paste (Miso+Mirin, etc.) or one of Chinese black bean sauces like Moo Shu sauce or Peking Duck sauce (not the clear peachy sauce)

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I have never tried cooked radishes, never knew you could. Nor have I ever had them with vinegar on them... I have alot to learn! :D

I have never been overly fond of radishes either, I add them to salads, as really tiny bits, all chopped up in it.

I have noticed two things... when I pick them young, they taste better.

And there are alot of variation in radish flavors among the different kinds. I bought a package of mixed radishes, one particular one... was crunchy like a water chestnut, and really mild in flavor... I loved that one. So, now I continue to order that mix, and a few others... trying to find that one that I like so well!

You really cook radishes? Wonder how they would work in a stir fry, where you need just a bit of spice?

Zapatay

I grew up on radishes in my sandwich....

I love tomato and mayo sandwich with sliced radishes....
Ham sandwich - Dip the radishes in mayo, layer on bread and then some sliced ham.

How about a dip:
4 cloves garlic, peeled (or finely minced)
6 radishes, quartered
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened

Directions
Place garlic in the container of a food processor, and pulse until finely minced. Add radishes, and mince. Add cream cheese, and mix until well blended. Transfer to a serving dish, and chill until serving.

Good luck - Can you post photos of your results... I'm becoming a radish fanatic.

Zapatay

My father also loved his sardine, mayo and radish sandwiches...

webmaster
Site Admin

A simple way to enjoy radishes is to coat them in olive oil, salt them and roast the radishes in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 to 30 minutes, depending on how done you want them.

From there you can do variations such as adding black pepper to the above or going for more flavor with thyme or other herbs.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I cut radishes into quarters (sixths for large ones), parboil them for 5 minutes, drain them and plunge them into ice water to cool. Then, I fry them in bacon fat with some chopped onion and green pepper. YUM! Very much like hash browns. :D

I think they would be fine in a stir fry. If you want them to add a tiny bit of spiciness, don't parboil them first. :)

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Wow, I have been living a sheltered life when it comes to radishes! Great suggestions.

We really love to bake head of garlic... so much that it is one bulb, not one clove per person... it mellows it and makes a great topping for crackers or a steak sauce... Of course, you smell a bit for a day or two... But it is so good for you. The point is: Garlic raw is sometimes, a bit hot and spicy... but once you bake it, it is mellow and yummy.

joshbuchan

wel thats some amazing ways of eating raddishes, I hate raddish I have only eaton it once and once was anouth....

but Kisal the way u cook them sounds very very tastie! I must try it some time. thanks :D
Last edited by joshbuchan on Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katylaide
Cool Member

Oh WOW guys, thanks for the responses, I clearly came to the right place. Good to see other people are benefiting from this post too. I forgot to mention I don't eat meat but the meat recipes should be useful to everyone else. Baking, stir frying and eating them with tofu definitely sound tasty to me!

thanrose
Greener Thumb

If you make cole slaw, shred some into that.

Saute small whole radishes, even with an inch of the top green stems in butter, maybe add a little water to steam.

If you don't like radishes usually, you probably won't like kimchi, but daikon kimchi is my favorite. I've used small red globe radishes too.

Any cooking will reduce the bite or sharpness of radishes. The longer they are cooked, the less you will taste.

Radishes that have had ample water while growing will be sweeter and milder.

You can eat the radish greens too. Kinda like thinning beets, you pull the whole plant where it's crowding others, and wash all the sand off, then butter steam the entire thing. The older leaves can be too tough, plus they get really bitter as the season goes on. Most leafy greens will be bitter once they flower, though.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

This is good 'cause I have a bunch of radishes planted and more to go.

Now off to fix my PC, stupid viruses :twisted:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Oh my goodness!

I fried ham slices for supper.. I took a bag of grocery store radishes, and just sliced some into the same skillet... fried them same time as the ham...

I didn't tell what they were... everyone loved them...

Everyone was very impressed... I didn't parboil them... just sliced and fried.

I need to buy more radish seeds!

To me the flavor was somewhat like parsnips... and I like parsnips...

Really, interesting, and tasty...

Thanks gang... come on, educate me more...

Clea Walford
Newly Registered

I've had lo bak in China (same thing as daikon), and it can be used in soups and stir fry dishes. Basically, one would use them in a soup in place of a carrot (depending upon the time of year). One thing that I noticed is that they seem to vary in pungency from garden to garden. Avoid the basketball-sized ones. They've been growing for six months, and they tend to be a bit turnipy in flavor and stringy in texture.

Lo bak may also be pickled and served with a sweet and sour sauce after being parboiled.

Tigerlilylynn
Cool Member

Oooo I love daikon. It's the only reason I survived my mom's atkin's kick. You can shred daikon and toss it in the skillet to make a flavorful substitute for hashbrown potato.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

peeling radishes will also remove most of the spiciness out of them...most of the spicy flavor is concentrated in the rind of the veggie so get rid of that and poof you shoul dbe left with a somewhat sweet crisp crunchy veggie!

Handsomeryan
Cool Member

slice the radishes thinly, sprinkle with a little salt and enjoy them as you would potato chips (or is it potato crisps where you live?) with a pint of strong beer.

Mmmmm... radishes and beer.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

lol I gotta laugh at the radishes and beer part! funny! lol

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”