rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The UN-Turkey Thanksgiving

Vegetarian here and not suffering a bit! Roasted nutmeat pate en brioche was wonderful main dish, savory herbed nut filling, in flaky golden crispy bread wrapping, vegetarian gravy for it and vegetarian "stuffing." Green salad with lettuce, swiss chard, parsley, nasturtiums from my garden, windowsill ripened garden tomatoes, and lots of store bought stuff added (almonds, feta, rasperries, dried cranberries, mushrooms) and raspberry vinagrette dressing with whole rasperries and homemade rasperry preserves added. Yams AND mashed white potatoes AND green bean casserole, rolls, three kinds of pie for desert.

And best of all seven good friends to share it all with and lots of left overs to come home with!

webmaster
Site Admin

Sounds yummy, Rainbow. My younger brother and his daughter are vegetarians so that's why I did the butternut squash pudding. But I also heated up an apple stuffed fieldroast thingy, braising it with olive oil to ensure it stayed moist, then drizzled a whole foods shitake gravy over it. Tasted great, it's good stuff. I might keep some around the house for lunchies during the week.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I came.

I ate.

I hurt.

I'm glad it's over.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I'm with AS on the turning thing; early or never. I too have had the disintegrating turkey syndrome on the late turn.

Glad to hear it all turned out, Rog. That pumpkin pie recipe is so solid that tweaking is readily and happily accepted (tell Jen I have added a quarter TSP of allspice and a quarter TSP chai masala to excellent effect as well, and you can add a good deal more of Grandma's secret ingredient than it calls for, also to excellent effect. And no, I won't tell. This is as close to a secret family recipe as we have in this family, and I won't be the one...) :wink:

HG

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

LOL a little late on the turkey thread but I am a turkey lover and left over roast turkey is one of my favorites for sammies....

Thick Slices of Sourdough (or your other second fav crusty bread, as sourdough is not always available nor good if it is) buttered on one side of each slice.
Thick Slices of Left Over Roast Turkey
A Generous Spoonful of Mashed Left Over Sweet or Regular Potatos Spread Over The Turkey
A Small Fist Full of Left Over Stuffing (squashed down into a patty about the size of your bread slices) Laid On Top of the Potatos
A Good Slathering of Your Favorite Cranberry Relish or Jelly)

Place Butter Side Down into a medium heated pan (it's ready when a drop of water dances on it) and place the entire sammie in the pan, top with the second slice of bread Butter Side Up and fry until dark golden brown on one side....Turn the sammie over carefully so as not to let everything fall out and do the same to the other side, it helps to mash it down a little so the other side gets even browning....when it's done, slice in half and eat with a friend or eat the whole thing yourself...makes an excellent filling sammie and uses up a little of everything on your leftover holiday meals :)

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”