rigardengal

Tomato sauce recipes/Small batch

So, I've picked a small batch of tomatoes this week(probably 7 total). I only have two plants, early girl and big boy. We use them in sandwiches and I've made salsa in the past. I came across a fire roasted tomato sauce recently and tried it:

6 tomatoes, halved, and grilled over hot coals till the skin blackens. Cool, then peel.
1 sweet red pepper, chopped
1/2 c. chopped basil
2 tsp thyme leaves
2 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Blend all ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes.

NOW.....my question is, Does anyone have any similar types of recipes for small tomato harvests? This sauce was ok, but I'm looking for more! I'm not really into canning, so I'm looking for something I can use right away or freeze.
(and I thought there was a recipe forum here?)

green~acres

Hi,
I don't have a recipe but the [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1197]recipe[/url] folder is in the Non Gardening Related Hoo-Ha & Foo Folder. There may be one there you like.

ChefRob

rigardengal wrote:So, I've picked a small batch of tomatoes this week(probably 7 total). I only have two plants, early girl and big boy. We use them in sandwiches and I've made salsa in the past. I came across a fire roasted tomato sauce recently and tried it:

6 tomatoes, halved, and grilled over hot coals till the skin blackens. Cool, then peel.
1 sweet red pepper, chopped
1/2 c. chopped basil
2 tsp thyme leaves
2 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Blend all ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes.

NOW.....my question is, Does anyone have any similar types of recipes for small tomato harvests? This sauce was ok, but I'm looking for more! I'm not really into canning, so I'm looking for something I can use right away or freeze.
(and I thought there was a recipe forum here?)
Your recipe

1) I would'nt halve the tomatoes before blistering them over the fire. Instead, core the top and make an X in the bottom with your knife, then peel and deseed when you're finished charring.

2) The red pepper is out of place in this recipe. Try carrot instead. Mario Batali makes good tomato sauces. Try some of his recipes.

3) Extra virgin olive oil is better for this sauce along with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.

4) Simmering time should be longer than 15 minutes.

My suggestion

Try looking up recipes for "tomato fondue" in "Google Books". A good tomato fondue is very versatile and consists of Roma tomatoes, onion and/or shallot, garlic, thyme, salt & pepper and evoo (plus sometimes tomato paste). Bring water to a boil and set a bowl of ice water on the side. Core and X the tomatoes, boil briefly, then shock in the ice water, peel, deseed and chop. Sweat the onion/shallot/garlic mixture in a pan with oil then add the chopped tomato and thyme. Simmer for 30 to 45 min. depending on the amount of tomato or until most of the water is gone. Season at the end and store in an airtight container for up to a week, or freeze for longer.

rigardengal

ChefRob,
Thanks for the suggestions. I have about 4 dozen ripe tomatoes ready to be made into sauce!

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Garlic is a must have ingredient... :wink:

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”