One of my favorite fancy-looking but easy recipes involves the following:
-1/2 to 1 cup cherry/grape tomatoes per person, chopped in half
-1 large basil leaf per person, minced
-1/4 shallot per person
-1/4 can chicken broth per person mixed with 1/4 t corn starch per person
1. Sautee minced shallots in olive oil 'til translucent on medium heat.
2. Add tomatoes, toss and cook for 2-3 minutes to evaporate some of the juice.
3. Add 1t-1T balsamic per person depending on how acidic you like your sauces, cook down on high heat.
4. Add broth/corn starch recipe, toss & cook 'til sauce is the consistency you like.
5. Add basil, toss, and ladle over cooked chicken breasts, cooked penne, or any other relatively mild-flavored dish requiring a sauce.
*Modified years ago from <i>Food and Wine</i>, who suggested something along these lines to go over baked chicken breasts stuffed with prosciutto, fontina, and basil.