Okay, sweet thunder, explain to me about "the number of feedings per day"
Also, I thought the temp had to be above 80Ã‚ÂºF! It's good to know I don't have to go looking for warmer temp proofing area.
I divided the dough into two and let my DDs form the dough. The French breads turned out OK. We enjoyed them. But I think that it was a bit more dense than I hoped it would be.
I started another one a couple of days ago, but completely forgot and left the starter on top of the Verizon box for 2 days.
I compensated by adding 1/2 C of flour and a dribble of molasses (don't know why, seemed like the right thing to do), then, being too eager to re-do the whole process, measured out the "proofed starter" according to a new recipe I found on-line with a bit of butter in it for "softer" interior. I left it to rise on the Verizon box, and then FORGOT it AGAIN!
So 36 hours later, it was getting soupy and a bit of liquid was forming on the top. I simply added flour until it was a good bread dough consistency, formed it into a ball, and left it to rise just before we went to the pool for the day. Well, we stayed a little longer than I expected, and the dough looked like it might have peaked a already when we got home, but it was definitely 2X the original size, so I popped it in the oven. It smelled DELICIOUS! We all tried it, and DD10 and I love it, but DD7 brought back the last bite or two (and I know after initial tasting, she even tried eating hers with applebutter) that she doesn't really like this bread because it's TOO SOUR.
Based on the second recipe directions, I think one of my problems with the first one was overkneading. I was instructing the kids to wedge the dough like clay....