Reptilicus
Cool Member

opabinia51 wrote:Sourdough starter can be made the day before you start a bread or (and better) it is good to have on hand, sitting in your kitchen.

1 cup warm Water
2 tbsp active yeast
1 tbsp sugar

Let sit, covered overnight. Then add a tabspoon of flour and mix in thoroughly. Feed occassionally with flour or sugar.

Adding the starter to any bread, muffin or whathaveyou will make it rise that much better and give it more flavour.

The older the sourdough is, the better it is. My grandma has one that she started in 1964.
Leave it sitting out of the refridge? Wont that make it mold?

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

That's sort of what it's supposed to do. They call it a wild yeast. Go back and check my starter recipe from a friend and it describes what to look for. Also too, if you go online and check for sourdough starter, there should be a lot of photos of good starter and bad starter.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

We were given this recipe by Preying Mantis in another forum.

The vanilla ice cream recipe comes from the manufacturer of the ice cream maker. I added 4 teaspoons of green tea powder to the milk with mint leaves, instead of vanilla extract. Since I had to mix (adds heat) the powder into the milk, I put it back into the freezer to infuse for an hour. Before adding this to the ice cream maker, I mixed in the heavy cream and strained it all through my vegetable strainer. The result was creamy, homogeneous and light flavored. I am almost as pleased with it as the chocolate chocolate chip mint concoction of three weeks ago.
Eating from the garden is awesome.

Sounds devine.

Take a look at the thread to see what else Preying mantis has been doing with herbs. And others as well.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7864&start=0

JennyC
Green Thumb

Reptilicus, I made your beer bread yesterday, and it's very yummy (and now cheaper than a loaf of the store brand! :shock: ) Thanks! I used dark beer since that's what I had, and it gave an interesting flavor.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Doesn't have anything to do with things that I grow in my garden but, here is a recipe I invented last night for dessert pancakes:

1 thawed frozen banana
a few dashes of cinnamon
whole wheat flour
1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1 heaping tablspoon skim (or whole) milk powder
Chocolate chips (optional)
Water

Mash the bananad with the milk, cinnamon, egg and flower (and chips if desired). Add water to bring the consistency to that of a loose batter. Fry in frying pan with hot oil.

Not hard but, really nice.

Serve with whipped or devonshire cream.

JennyC
Green Thumb

I made a stuffing that I was intending to use to fill grape leaves the other night. I made the unfortunate discovery that, just because muscadine leaves are technically edible doesn't mean they should be eaten. Bitter, bitter, bitter. So, we scraped out the stuffing. I'm going to try it again tonight with stuffed squash blossoms (no worries; I'll only pick male flowers and will leave some to pollinate).

Here's my recipe, roughly. I don't generally cook from recipes, which drives my husband crazy because I can never tell him how much of anything to add. But this is more or less what I did for a yummy stuffing. It makes a lot; I'll be freezing some after tonight, and we've already made one meal off it.

Stuffing:

1/4 pound soy sausage (or whatever meat is handy; I had leftovers)
About a tablespoon canola oil
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 can tomato paste
About 1 can water
About 1 1/2 cups day-old daylily blooms (wilted but still on the plant)**
2 cups cooked brown rice
Spices to taste -- I used about 3 tsp. crushed red pepper, 1/2 tsp. red pepper powder, 1-2 tsp dried parsley, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp salt, and 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder.

1. Brown the meat in the oil, add garlic halfway through.

2. Lower heat to low and stir in tomato paste and enough water so that the mixture is roughly the consistency of thick salsa.

3. Add spices and let it cook together over low heat while you chop the daylily flowers coarsely. Add these and cook for 2-3 minutes; watch for thickening from the flowers (they thicken soups, etc, as well as okra). If it looks like it's getting so thick it will be hard to stir in the rice, add more water.

4. Taste and adjust seasonings, keeping in mind that the rice will make it more bland.

5. Stir in brown rice and stuff into veggies of your choice, or spoon into a lighly oiled casserole, top with mashed potatoes (or instant mashed potatoes :oops: ), and bake until warm through and browned on top for "shepherd's pie."

** If you can't reliably identify daylilies, don't try this -- some lilies are poisonous! This could easily be made with julienned summer squash or another fresh garden vegetable instead.

[Edited to correct amount of cumin -- a little goes a long way!]

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Here's one of my favorite recipes using sun dried tomatoes, I pulled it from the Internet a few years ago so I can't give credit to the person who created it-

Sun-Dried Tomato Ratatouille
INGREDIENTS:
2 medium eggplant, peeled and diced
2 medium zucchini, diced
2 large bell peppers, diced
2 yellow onions, peeled and diced
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
6 cloves of garlic chopped
1 C sun dried tomatoes
¼ C of olive oil for sautéing
1 C of stock
3 sprigs of fresh basil

Place eggplant cubes in a large bowl of salted water. Let set for about 15 minutes. Drain water and squeeze water out of eggplant pieces, being careful so they retain their shape.

Heat a large saucepan or Dutch oven on medium-high heat and add olive oil. Sautee eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, onions and carrots until nice and caramelized (about 7-10 minutes), stirring occasionally. Throw in the garlic, stir and cook for about 3 minutes or until garlic begins to soften. Add broth and sun dried tomatoes, reduce heat to low, scrape the bottom of the pan and reduce liquid until vegetables are nice and stewed (about 15-20 minutes). Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve topped with fresh basil.

JennyC
Green Thumb

We ate almost entirely from the garden/ fields tonight!

We had a salad of violet leaves, sheep sorrel, greenbrier tips, and radish from the garden.

I found two "stealth" zucchinis this evening that had managed to get to roughly the size of my forearm without detection (man, can those things hide!) So, to make the huge zucchini edible, I decided to make stuffed zucchini boats. I used only one stealth zucchini for the two of us; guess we know what's for supper tommorrow!

I cut off the ends and blanched the zucchini in boiling salted water for three minutes. Then I cut it in half longways, scooped out the seeds leaving a thick wall, and sprayed all over with cooking spray. I chopped up the seeds and mixed with leftover daylily stuffing from the freezer (I posted the recipe above on this page), and spooned it into the zucchini without packing it in tight. I baked at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes (I'm using convection; standard oven might take a few minutes longer). This was good but needed more spice -- we both added garlic salt, and then it was great. Tomorrow I'll garlic salt the zucchini before stuffing.

I also made fried apple rings with apples from our tree: core and cut 2 apples into thick slices (I used "dubious" ones, cutting out the bad spots). Heat about a tablespoonful of oil over medium high heat, fry until the apples start to soften, about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally and turning over midway through. Sprinkle fairly liberally with sugar, cover, reduce heat to low and let apples stew until zucchini boats are ready (or about 15 minutes).

Finally, I made fresh blackberry sorbet. I had about a cup and a half of blackberries from the yard. I added about 3 tablespoons of sugar and whizzed in the food processor just until the berry juice started to spatter. Poured the mixture into a bowl and put in the deep freezer until after supper (it took about an hour to really set). This was weird, but good I think. There was an unexpected hint of bitterness which I can only guess is the seeds.

fabulousmindy

This recipe I got somewhere, not sure. It is a fantastic way to use up extra zuchinni. When friends hear it's for dinner they "stop by" unnanounced;) It can be doubled for an 8X12 dish.

Zuchinni Casserole

1 1/2 c zuchinni grated
1 medium onion grated
2/3 c bisquick baking mix
2/3 c cheddar cheese
2 eggs slightly beaten
1/4 c vegetable oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp sage (fresh is better)

mix ingrediants, put in 8X8 greased pan, bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes, (you can put some fresh grated parmesan cheese for the last 5 minutes to brown if you like)

Serve with a dollop of sour cream topped with fresh cut chives, mmmmm...

Does anyone know about homemade pickles? I'd like to try it...

mbaker410

fabulousmindy wrote:This recipe I got somewhere, not sure. It is a fantastic way to use up extra zuchinni. When friends hear it's for dinner they "stop by" unnanounced;) It can be doubled for an 8X12 dish.

Zuchinni Casserole

1 1/2 c zuchinni grated
1 medium onion grated
2/3 c bisquick baking mix
2/3 c cheddar cheese
2 eggs slightly beaten
1/4 c vegetable oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp sage (fresh is better)

mix ingrediants, put in 8X8 greased pan, bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes, (you can put some fresh grated parmesan cheese for the last 5 minutes to brown if you like)

Serve with a dollop of sour cream topped with fresh cut chives, mmmmm...

Does anyone know about homemade pickles? I'd like to try it...
I was reading this recipe and kept thinking while looking at the ingredients... Cheese, Cheese, Cheese! Then I saw parmesan and was like ok all better! lol I like cheese and might try this recipe.

Thanks for posting it.

mbaker410

I make this rice as a healthy default side to many of protein. This takes the boringness out of rice and adds a beautiful flavor. Can eat for days by itself.

Mirepoix Brown Rice with herbs de provence:

Ingredients:

- 1 box of Uncle Bens 10 minute Whole Grain Brown Rice
-3 1/4 cups chicken broth/stock (fresh or canned)
-3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
-1 cup diced celery
-1 cup diced carrots
-1 cup diced onion (any I use vidalia)
-1/2 cup total of chopped (Thyme, Rosemary, Marjoram and Basil)
-1 bayleaf
-Salt & Pepper to taste. (Add salt toward end... Broth has salt in it.)

Directions:

-Add oil to medium to large pot over med/high heat. Bring oil temp up and add celery, carrots and onion and begin to sautee. Stir occasionally coat the veggies in the oil well until they begin to get soft (not completely cooked). Add chicken broth to the pot and change heat to high. Bring to a boil and add rice, thyme, rosemary, marjoran, basil and bayleaf. Stir and cover and leave covered for 10 minutes. Check rice and stir and taste. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Enjoy.

JennyC
Green Thumb

I've been making quiche a lot lately -- good way to use up eggs and leftover veggie bits. My recipe actually makes 2 -- one for supper and one for the freezer!

I make the crust myself to cut the fat content, but you could use store bought pie crust.

Crust recipe:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 TBS milk (I use nonfat dry milk, reconstituted)
    4 TBS oil (I use canola)
    1 TBS water used only if the dough isn't moist yet.
Sift the flour, stir in the milk and 3 tbs oil, then slowly add another tbs oil. Add water if dough isn't moist and form into 2 balls for 2 crusts. Flatten one ball slightly and lay on waxed paper on your rolling surface. Cover with another sheet of waxed paper and roll out until the crust is big enough to cover the bottom and sides of your pie pan. Carefully pull off the top layer of waxed paper and invert the crust, still on the bottom sheet of waxed paper, into the pie pan. Carefully remove the waxed paper. If it breaks, you can just squish it back together carefully, or patch with a bit that hangs over the edge. Fold in or trim off any extra bits that hang over. Now your crust is ready to fill (if you use this same crust for an unbaked pie, sweeten to taste with sugar, honey or molasses, and bake it for 5-10 mins in a 300 degree oven -- when done, it has a crisp texture, sort of like a thin-tossed pizza crust.)

Quiche recipe:
  • 4 eggs slightly beaten (I use the equivalent in no-cholesterol egg substitute)
    1 1/2 cups milk (I used reconstituted fat free dry milk)
    Spice (to suit yourself; a good start might be 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1/4 tsp red pepper if you like heat)
    1/2 - 1 cup Filling -- Again, suit yourself. Chopped cooked greens are a good start, but so is leftover stirfry, rice and all. Pretty much any veggies from your garden could go in, though my husband has requested no more quiche involving pinto beans (Hey, I liked it). You could also make a plain quiche without filling and top with salsa to serve.
    1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped shredded cheese (optional; I use fat-free slices that I just break into little bits, except sometimes I forget them and it comes out fine)
Preheat oven to 425. Stir together eggs, milk, spices, and add chopped greens if you're filling with them. If not using greens, sprinkle half of filling on bottom of pie shell, sprinkle that with 1/2 the cheese, and pour in 1/4 of egg mixture. Repeat layers once more. Carefully place quiche in oven and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake for another 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Assemble the second quiche while the first is baking, or put them both side-by-side in the oven. Two at once don't cook evenly in my little outdoor convection oven, but I have to put them one above the other. If there were room for them side by side, I think it would be fine.

Regardless, it comes out yummy. I used leftover stir fry for the filling last night and flavored the custard with some soy-sesame instant salad dressing mix I've never used. The possibilities are nearly endless.

mbaker410

I just made this last night without the tomatoes (because I don't have any yet) and it was very good.

Tomato & Cucumber salad.

Ingredients:

-1/3 cup olive oil
-1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
-1 1/4 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon ground cumin
-1/2 teaspoon black pepper
-3 3/4 lb vine-ripened or plum tomatoes cut into 1/3-inch dice (4 cups)
-1 lb cucumber cut into 1/3-inch dice (2 1/2 cups)
-3/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
-1/4 cup finely chopped onion (Vidalia or Walla Walla)

Directions:

Whisk together oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, cumin, and pepper in a medium bowl. Add tomatoes, cucumber, parsley and onion and stir to combine. Let stand at room temp for at least 10 minutes before serving.

JennyC
Green Thumb

The elderberries outside my kitchen door have just started getting ripe, so tonight I made elderberry-oatmeal muffins. These are great, but they are a little dense; if you prefer lighter muffins, just substitue elderberries for blueberries in any blueberry muffin recipe. We're going for the cholesterol-lowering effect of the oatmeal.

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1 beaten egg (I use 3 tbs egg white)
2 tbs oil
1 cup cooked oatmeal (I use rolled oats, so can't vouch for instant, but I just cook it 2 mins in the microwave to soften it)
1 cup elderberries

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, reserving 1/4 cup flour to mix into berries. Stir in milk, egg, and oatmeal just until well moistened. Sprinkle reserved flour over berries and stir to coat; stir into flour mixture. Spoon into oiled muffin pan and bake 20 mins. Makes 18 muffins.

The elderberries are sweet and really make these smell great coming out of the oven; the berries are very fragrant. The seeds give a slight crunchiness to the cooked berries; almost a "crinkly" sensation, which I think goes well with the denser muffin.

andywph
Cool Member

Wow. Didn't know there are so many potentially good recipes here. :)

Will try them out as soon as I get the chance.

damethod

Hey, why doesn't someone create a new section titled recipes. It seems we all have plenty to share! :o)

I use my mints in salads or with Lamb. I once tried a great recipe that I got off a magazine. I more or less remembered the recipe and tried it the other day..

Edamame salad:
Arugula (or other green leafy lettuce)
Soy beans(edamame)
Mint (sliced into thin ribbons)
Parmessiano Regiano cheese or other hard cheese(Pecorino Romano, Parmessan, etc)
Red Wine vinegar
1-2 teaspoon of sugar
Olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

The amounts of each ingredient are according to your likes. I typically use a handfull of arugula(can substitute any green leafy lettuce) and another handfull of mint.. about 30 soy beans(already removed from pods)..and about a 1/4 cup of parmegiano regiano cheese.

If not already cooked, cook the soybeans in their pods by putting them in boiling water for a few minutes. Chop the arugula into thick ribbons. Chop the mint into fine ribbons. Mix together the arugula, beans, mint, and cheese. In a seperate bowl, combine about about a 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar and the sugar. Once sugar is dissolved, drizzle in about a 1/4cup of olive oil while mixing with a whisk. Whisk until it emulsifies.(Looks like a salad dressing) Pour over salad and enjoy.

This recipe is loaded with essential vitamins, good fats, and protein! I've interchanged mints and types of lettuce and have always been satisfied.

Reptilicus
Cool Member

I made this over the weekend. I put this on cooked spaghetti and stir fry it up for a bit to combine.

Fresh Basil Pesto

Ingredients

* 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
* 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
* 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
* 1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
* 3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

* Special equipment needed: A food processor

1 Combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor. (If you are using walnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped, pulse them a few times first, before adding the basil.) Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.

2 Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

chio88

Thanks opa! Really made me want a squash soup now. Can I also use the blender instead of mashing the squash and potato?

veggiegardener
Newly Registered

Oh recipes :)

This might be fun. Ok here it goes, this may seem like a weird recipe to some and its actually a Korean dish that a girl I know taught me how to make.

Heres what you need:

- 1 Large Tomato
- About a half a cup of graded cheese
- 1/4 cup of chopped onions
- 1/4 cup of chopped celery
- 1/8 cup of sour cream

Ok so basically in simple terms you just take the tomato and cut a thin layer off the top. Next you will want to "gut" the tomato out and make it hollow in the middle.

You will want to put all of the ingreidents in the tomato and cook it in the over on about 365 degrees for around 10 minutes! It makes a really tasty little treat.

There are a few different ways to make this but this works fairly well. Sometimes people like to add sauces in it and other things. Anyways enjoy :)

Lupinus

Grilled Endive/Chicory Salad-

One Endive (the loose weed looking kind, not Belgian), though you can substitute any bitter green
One or Two oranges
Salt
Pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Wash the head of endive and let dry on a paper towel for a few minutes, doesn't need to be totally dry and a little damp is a good thing

Take the endive and place on the grill to often char and wilt slightly turning often enough to avoid burning. You want it still crisp but make sure to grill it long enough to char nicely and tenderise just slightly, should still be crisp.

Remove from the grill, chop, and place into a bowl. Then squeeze an orange over the endive and then toss in some orange segments. How much is a matter of how juicy the orange is and how many segments you like, you want only enough to coat the endive. How many segments it a matter of taste.

Toss in a little salt, pepper, and EVOO and serve warm.

If it's not grilling weather but you can still get the endive you can chop and wilt in a pan or char under the broiler.

Blood oranges are great in this too, as is most any citrus.

tntrouse

Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 red bell peppers
4 large tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons paprika
1/8 teaspoon white sugar
6 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
1 dash hot pepper sauce
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons sour cream

1. Roast peppers: rub oil on peppers and put them under the broiler until blackened, turn to get all sides. Put into paper bag and seal. Let rest for 15 minutes, then peel will come right off and core and seeds will fall out. Chop peppers. Reserve one chopped pepper; set aside.

2. Heat olive oil over moderate heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft but not brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato, bell peppers (except reserved), thyme, paprika, and sugar. Cook over medium-low heat until all the tomato juices have evaporated, about 25 minutes.

3. Stir in chicken stock, salt and pepper, cayenne pepper, and hot sauce (if using). Bring to boiling, lower heat, and simmer, partially covered, for 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

4. Strain soup, reserving broth. Place solids in food processor or blender, and process until fairly smooth. Add puree back into broth.
Melt butter and stir in the flour, cook for 1 minute. Stirring slowly, add the broth/vegetable mixture. Add reserved chopped pepper and bring to boiling. Lower heat and simmer 10 minutes.

5. Ladle into bowls and add 1 tablespoon of sour cream to each bowl. For a lighter soup, this is also delicious without the sour cream.

Great use for peppers and tomatoes. The recipe isn't the quickest in the world, but it's sooo tasty. I plan on making a ton and a canning it for the winter this year :)

atascosa_tx
Cool Member

stuffed zucchini squash...# of squash is up to you
take the larger squash...cut them in half length ways...scrape out the seeds.
Discard the seeds...continue scraping the meat of the squash until you get to about within 1/4 inch of the skin...add the meat of the squash to hamburger meat
take 2 lbs of hamburger meat and the meat of the squash and add 1 onion diced...cook till hamburger is browned..add one can of diced tomatoes...
you can add rice if you like...
scoop the finished meat and squash meat into the hollowed out zucchini half..cover with cheese and put into foil and add a 1/4 cup of water..cover with foil and cook at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until squash it tender.

you can use the same recipe for stuffed bell pepper also..minus the squash..

yum

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

BLACKBERRY COBLER

1 cup of flour
1 cup white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Mix well then stir in 3/4 cup of milk.

Put in a greased 10x10 baking dish.

Sprinkle 2 cups of fresh picked Blackberries over the top.

1/2 cup of melted butter poured over the top.

Bake at 350 deg F for 45 to 50 minutes.

Optional, serves with a scoop of French Vanilla Ice Cream.

[img]https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/gary350/cobler.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Gary350 on Thu May 07, 2009 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I got this recipe from an Oriental Lady that I know. This is better than anything you can make from sauces in a jar or ready to eat oriental stir fly in the frozen section of the grocery store. You can make it with chicken or pork. You can make it as spicy as you like just add more red peppers. This oriental lady grows her own garlic, cayenne peppers, bell peppers, and other vegatables in her garden.

Sweet and Sour Sauce

1/3 cup of soy sauce
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon corn starch
3 cloves of garlic
Juice squeezed from 1 lemon.
1 cayenne red pepper mild, 2 for medium, 3 for hot, 4 for extra hot.
Grind in kitchen blender.

Mixed Vegatables.

You can use any vegatables you like just don't use more than about 4 cups it will be too much for the volume of sauce. Slice and dice into small pieces.

1 large onion
1 yellow squash
1 bell pepper
1 carrot

Jasmine Rice

1 cup of Jasmine rice
2 cups of water
1 tsp salt
3 Tbl butter
Cook in rice cooker or bring to a boil in a covered pot turn off heat and let it sit for 15 minutes.

Cut 1 lb Chicken or Pork into small pieces brown in 1/4 cup olive oil. Add the sauce and mix vegatables. Cook about 5 minutes or until the vegatables get tender. Eat at once with rice. Serves 4.

[img]https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/gary350/Chicken.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/gary350/MixedVeg.jpg[/img]

This is very good, just as good or better than chinese food in a real oriental restaruants. Fresh garden vegatables really makes it the best.

hassenpfeffer

This is more of an idea than a recipe but here goes.

Blackberry Lemonade

The Lemonade
(just one recipe I found online if you have another one you like that yields about the same amount It should do fine)

1 cup- lemon juice (about 6 juiced lemons)
1 cup- white sugar
6 cups- water

Directions

1. Juice the lemons to make 1 cup of juice. To make your labor easier, FIRMLY roll the lemons between your hand and counter top before cutting in half and juicing. -OR- If you are using store bought lemon juice just skip this step.
2. In a gallon pitcher combine 1 cup lemon juice, 1 cup sugar, and 6 cups cold water. Stir. Adjust water to taste.

Now to make it Blackberry Lemonade

You will need-

1-Lemonade recipe (see above)
1-4 cups- blackberries (best fresh picked wild ones)
1-strainer
1-large mixing bowl
1-large serving spoon(or something else you can mash and squish blackberries with)

Directions

1-Put the blackberries in the bowl. Next, Put the lemonade in the bowl (if it doesn't all fit that is OK just put enough to fill the bowl or all of it if it fits.)

2- Mash and squish the blackberries with the spoon until you think you have gotten all the blackberry juice in the lemonade.

3- Strain the blackberry/lemonade mixture back into the container the lemonade was in to remove the blackberry pulp, chill, and wallah blackberry lemonade

green~acres

2 lbs. yellow squash
1 med. onion, chopped
1/2 cup butter
1 cup bacon bits
1 cup sour cream
tart shells
parmesan cheese
Cook squash and onion in boiling salted water til tender. drain well. in a bowl mix squash mixture with butter, bacon bits and sour cream.Pour into tart shells. top with parmesan cheese. bake at 350 til hot and bubbly. 4-6 servings. freezes well.

green~acres

Squash and Chicken Dinner
1 broiler chicken,cut into serving pieces
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 med. onion, sliced
1 15oz. can tomatoes
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 lb. sliced summer squash
Sprinkle chicken pieces with 1 tsp. salt, pepper and paprika. brown under broiler for 10 mins. turning once. transfer chicken to a heavy skillet. add onion, tomatoes, oregano and remaining salt. cover and cokk over med-low heat for about 30 mins. or until chicken is done. add squash, cover and cook for 10 mins. longer
I use boneless, skinless chicken breast.
serves 4

green~acres

Zucchini, Tomato & Onions
2 cups sliced onions
2 cups sliced tomatoes
2 cups sliced zucchini
1 1/2 tsp. Italian Herb Seasoning
1/2 tsp. salt(optional)
dash of pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Layer onion,tomato and zucchini in a 2qt. casserole dish that has been sprayed with non stick cooking spray.Sprinkle each layer with seasoning. Bake for 30-45 mins. depending on how soft you like the vegetables.
Makes 7 servings

green~acres

Cabbage Casserole
1 large head cabbage shredded
10 oz. Cheddar Cheese, grated
1 can Cheddar Cheese soup
1 soup can milk
1 pkg. Ritz crackers, crushed
Cook cabbage in salted water until done. Drain
Place in a 13X 9 baking dish.Mix cheese in cooked cabbage,saving 1/2-1 cup for later use.Make a sauce with the soup and milk. Blend well together and mix through the cabbage. Add 1 cup of cheddar cheese to the top of the casserole. Sprinkle the ritz crackers on top. Bake at 350 for 30 mins., until bubbly.

green~acres

Anyone have some ideas for using cucumbers.I have marinated them in the sour cream mixture.just plain ole slice and eat. We are getting around 8 cucumbers a day. Have given some to the neighbors. What else can I do? Thanks. Julie

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I like Indian cucumber raita...

Peel, split, and seed a cucumber, and hand grate it, mix in a tsp cumin, 1/4 teaspoon curry powder, 1/4 tsp salt and just a pinch of ground red pepper. Toss that, then mix in two cups of unflavored yogurt (Let your conscience be your guide as to whether you use fat free or whole; I like it best with Greek style yogurt). Serve with pita wedges or we like papadum, a sort of Indian toasted bread, naan is an Indian soft bread that is very good with it as well...

Oh, [url=https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/cold-cucumber-soup-recipe/index.html]here's[/url] a thought. And it uses six at a whack...

Bam! :lol:

HG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Pico de gallo

Slice and dice 1 small green chili pepper for mild, 2 spicy, 3 hot.

Slice and dice 1 medium onion.

Slice and dice 2 or 3 medium tomatoes.

Slice and dice about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of cilantro.

1 clove of garlic sliced and diced.

Juice from 1 lime and about 1/4 cup of water.

Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.

Let it stand over night in the refrigerator it gets better with age.

It goes good with a lot of foods. It is good on tacos too.

I like to put a large spoon full on my plate and eat it like a salad.

You can use any hot pepper you like. I don't like the fire hot peppers with a sharp bite. I personally like a mild hot green chili pepper with good flavor rather than a fire hot pepper. If I want it fire hot I just add more of the green chili pepper to spice it up.
Last edited by Gary350 on Thu May 20, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

green~acres

Garlic Green Beans

Ingredients
1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. white pepper
2 tsp. olive oil
Directions
Place beans with water to cover in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes or until tender; drain. Toss beans with garlic, salt and pepper. Drizzle with oil. Serve immediately.

green~acres

Sesame Green Beans

1 tbsp. olive oil

1 tbsp sesame seeds

1 lb. fresh green beans

¼ cup chicken broth

¼ tsp. salt

Pepper to taste

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add sesame seeds. When seeds start to darken, stir in beans.

Cook, stirring, until beans turn bright green.

Pour in chicken broth, salt and pepper.

Cover and cook until beans are tender, about 10 mins.

Uncover and cook until liquid evaporates.

Ana

1 tomato (any big variety will do)
1 tuna can
2 - 3 tbs mayonnaise
salt and pepper if you like

Cut the top of the tomato and take out the filling. Mix the mayonnaise with the tomato filling and the tuna. Put the mix back in the tomato and enjoy.

green~acres

FRESH TOMATO JUICE

6 ripe and juicy tomatoes
ice water
salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional)
1 pinch dried oregano (or fresh thyme)
4 small lemon wedges (for serving)

Wash, blanch, peel and chop the tomatoes. Put through a food mill or sieve directly into a bowl.

Add enough ice water to make 4 cups. Season lightly with salt and pepper (if using them) and herb. Taste, and enhance the seasonings if necessary.

Serve cold with a squeeze of lemon juice.

Servings: 4 (assuming 1 cup per serving)

green~acres

Corn with Bacon

6 ears of corn
4 slices of bacon
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

remove corn from cob.cook bacon in a large skillet.until crisp.reserving drippings.crumble bacon and set aside. saute corn in drippings until golden brown.add water to cover, salt and pepper. bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 30-45 mins. stir in bacon.
6-8 servings

green~acres

ZUCCHINI RICE BAKE
6 servings

1 c. cooked rice
3 to 4 lb zucchini, cooked, drained & mashed
2 c. shredded sharp Cheddar
1/2 c. chopped green onions
1/4 c. chopped parsley
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 c. butter or margarine, melted
salt, pepper & paprika

Combine rice, zucchini, cheese, green onions & parsley & mix well.
Stir in eggs, butter, & salt & pepper to taste.
Spoon mixture into lightly greased 9-inch baking dish & sprinkle with paprika.
Bake at 350 degrees 1 hour.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Zucchini Bite Size Pizzas

I tried this recipe and it turned out to be very good.

Grease a cookie sheet with olive oil.

Cut a zucchini squash into 3/8 slices and lay them on the cookie sheet.

Cover the top size of each slice with pizza sauce.

Sprinkle Mozzarella/Smoked Provolone cheese on top.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Fresh Garden Pizza

I make this ever summer and it is so good it is unreal. Very yummy.

Home made crust.

2 cups of all purpose flour
2/3 cut water water
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp sugar
1 package of dry yeast.

Dissolve the salt and sugar in the warm water then sprinkle the yeast on top. Do not stir. After about 10 or 15 minute then you can stir. In about 10 minutes it will start to foam. Add the flour. Kneed dough then let it rest 5 minutes. Kneed again let rest 5 minutes. Roll out onto large 18" greased pizza pan. Bake in the oven at 425 until it is lightly cooked.

Cover with your favorite pizza sauce about 1 cup.
1 cup of italian sausage or what ever meet you like.
Cover the whole pizza with 1/4 inch thick tomato slices.
Cover the pizza with 1/8 inch thick sliced squash.
1/2 cup fresh garden bell peppers diced.
1/2 cup of sliced and diced onion.
Top with 1 package of Mozzarella/Smoked Provolone cheese.

Bake 425 deg F for 20 to 25 minutes.
Last edited by Gary350 on Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”