forceten

Canning and then recanning

So, the tomato crops are rolling in pretty good right now. I am just starting to get overhelmed on tomatoes.......

I would like to make fresh gravy for pasta, but I like to make really big batches of it. Probably in late september.

My question is - if I start to press and can my tomatoes as they ripen up in batches until I have enough - is it ok to open them up in late september early october, make a large batch of gravy with them and then pressure can the gravy. Essentially canning twice is what I'm wondering if thats ok..... Once for the tomatoes themselves until I have enough and then again after its made into gravy.

I have done one I have done the other - but I have never canned and then used the canned tomatoes to make something and can again.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

I used to make tomato juice and can it. When I had gallons of it I would open it up and cook it down slowly with garlic and spices (with a tiny bit of sugar) until it was quite thick, about 1/2 volume and then I would recan it. Never had a problem. My father who couldn't stand tomatoes that weren't very cooked down is no longer with us, so the last 3 years I haven't needed to do it. I really liked, it so if I get enough tomatoes maybe I will do it again.

forceten

Yes sauce..... I'm italian and we call it gravy :D but same difference

So freezing them would be as good as canning - to store them until I had enough?

So no problems at all charlie for canning twice? It would be cooked down and added into a meat sauce for 7-8 hours before the 2nd canning, so I thought it might be ok. Just wasn't sure

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

I think you will find that if you freeze them first you will have to cook them down a lot. Freezing tends to make things watery. I haven't tried recanning things that were frozen, so I can't speak to that idea.
Make sure you follow the corect canning instructions when you recan and you should be just fine.

applestar
Mod

I don't know the answer but I had to jump in and :lol:

I've had this Gravy vs. Sauce discussion with friends as it is very common usage around here. My understanding is that tomato "sauce" cooked down with meat for long time is called "gravy" and what would be called pasta sauce is less cooked and have fresher taste -- or, depending on who you ask, other than in "gravy," tomatoes are not the main ingredient in pasta "sauce" and they would more typically make lightly sauteed veg with good olive oil and grated cheese. :wink:

I bet forceten has a family recipe for scrumptious gravy. 8)

forceten

applestar wrote:
I bet forceten has a family recipe for scrumptious gravy. 8)
That be my grandma's recipe passed down for many generations :D

Except its not a written down recipe, and there is no measured amounts in it..... so its hard to "TELL" somebody how to reproduce it. The way we learn it is to be there helping making it many times, and then thats how you know how to make it.

Actually 2 kinds, one is a gravy with snow crab legs (yum), and the other is meat gravy with meatballs and sausage (among many other things). I am glade I learned before my grandmother passed away. Only thing is she used to cook it (really low simmer and stirred here and there) for 18-22 hours (in the largest pots you ever saw!).

I do 7-8 hours - 9-10 if I have the time. Hers definitely had a bit more flavor then mine and was GRAVY - mine is gravy too - thick but hers was really thick. I can see where pasta sauce could be different. more watery maybe and who knows what else in it.

mansgirl

I don't make SAUCE (I'm Dutch :wink: ), but I do make salsa. My tomatoes have at time gotten way ahead of my peppers. I do can my tomatoes, wait until I have enough peppers, then open the cans and make salsa, which I then recan. It tastes wonderful and I've never had a problem with bacteria or spoilage.

I'd love to try sauce, aka gravy, sometime. If you have a good recipe would you be willing to share it?

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”