Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Can anyone suggest the BEST BOOKS on Saving seeds

I am looking for some GOOD books on Saving seeds, and how to start them, once you have saved them. Would appreciatte hearing about any good books. Thanks.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Type Seed Saving into the search box at Amazon.com and you will find several books on that specific topic. I can't make recommendations, since I haven't read any of them.

Re how to plant and grow out your seeds next spring, type seed starting into the keyword box that comes up when you click on Search the Forum above and you will find tons of stuff that's been written here, with pictures of people's seed starting operations, etc.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:) Thank You very much. Never thought to look there. I will have a good look in the morning.---Right now I mainly want to know how to start, or see if some old seeds will germinate, and how to do it. Thanks again for your information.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Most old seeds will germinate. I have successfully used 5 year old seeds. At that point the germination rate is often reduced, I.e. you get fewer plants, but the plants you get are just fine. There are examples of being able to germinate 1000 year old seeds that were stored in dry caves.

There are a few basic things to know to avoid failure though, so do browse around here first.

Return to “Gardening Books - General Discussions”