webmaster
Site Admin

Great minds think alike, as they say. Some of those books you recommend are on our [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/tips/03/book-2.html]recommended gardening books list[/url].

LadyHails
Newly Registered

I haven't read as many as those of you who are established gardeners, being a bit of a newbie, but one I found really useful in my first ventures was "Back to the Basics: Traditional Garden Wisdom: Time-Tested Tips and Techniques for Creating a Natural, Sustainable Outdoor Space" What drew me to the book was "traditional" and being published by Reader's Digest.

There are many little side notes; they covered so many things that other instructional books just didn't touch on. Reading it was like having a mentor.

I've been hunting down other Back to Basics books as well, like "Back to Basics: Traditional Kitchen Wisdom: Techniques and Recipes for Living A Simpler, More Sustainable Life" Which has inspired some of the produce and herb choices in my garden.

Everyone's posts have been really helpful in my search for gardening knowledge. I've started my own reading list, which is growing exponentially.

EnchantedDaisy

I have all of P. Allen Smith's books and I just love them. They are beautiful resources for me. I have learned a lot in the areas of garden design and color theory from his books.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I just finished "One Straw Revolution". A great read just don't know how applicable his therories are to urban gardening. I have not yet pursued the subject on the "One Straw" forum. I did enjoy the read. I have a much treasured book from my college days in the early 1970's. It is a plant encyclopedia. The cover and the table of contents are long gone. The pages are tattered and soil stained. This book was my plant bible long before the internet. Until recently I had a library of plant books. Like 30+ books. I finally donated them to a local non profit thrift store. With the info available on the internet I no longer used my reference books and needed the room. I did keep my much used and much loved encyclopedia.

I am very interested in some of the books that you guys and gals have recommended. I am an avid reader and will look into your recommendations.

BTW - Love Square Foot Gardening. I have both versions.

EnchantedDaisy

ElizabethB wrote:
BTW - Love Square Foot Gardening. I have both versions.
Me too! Love them. My first childhood garden of my own was a square foot garden.

HamptonsGarden

Here are my suggestions and favorites:

Michael A. Dirr, Dirr's Hardy Trees and Shrubs
Tracy DiSabato-Aust, The Well-Tended Perennial Garden
David Austin, et al., Botanica's Roses
Piet Oudolf, Planting the Natural Garden
Piet Oudolf, Designing with Plants
Oehme van Sweden, Bold Romantic Gardens
John Brookes, Natural Landscapes
Jeff Cox, Perennial All Stars
Rick Darke, Timber Press Pocket Guide to Ornamental Grasses
Noel Kingsbury, Natural Garden Style
Ken Druse, The Natural Shade Garden
Beth Chatto, The Green Tapestry
Hugh Johnson, Principles of Gardening
Rand B. Lee, Pleasures of the Cottage Garden
Christopher Brickell, The American Horticultural Society Pruning & Training
Michael A. Dirr, Hydrangeas for American Gardens

I love gardening books and love the inspiration and education they provide.

vinyl217

Some that I reference regularly:
Louise Riotte: "Carrots Love Tomatoes"
Ron Engeland: "Growing Great Garlic"
Mel Bartholomew: "Square Foot Gardening"
DeWitt & Bosland: "The Pepper Garden"

I recently read Steve Solomon's book "Gardening When It Counts" which was insightful, but not real full of practical information I could use in my current setup.

Return to “Gardening Books - General Discussions”