The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Ch. 23 A Simple Soil Food Web Calendar

What can I say? Step by step instructions for the year. What else do ya want? Jeff to come over and do it for you?

Thanks Jeff!

HG

Mini Mango!

Ooooh this is sooooo GREAT!!!! :-()
Even for the different climates :?:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yep, pretty well thought out. A great ending to a great book...

HG

garden5
Super Green Thumb

This was helpful in seeing the broad picture of putting all the information together and seeing the big-picture application of it all.

I never thought about spraying my seedlings and transplants with ACT before planting them, but that does sound like a good idea. It also says to try soaking transplants in ACT. Should this be done while it is still aerating?

Also, this was mentioned in the same paragraph that said to inoculate seeds and transplants with the appropriate microrrhizial fungi. Is this an either/or situation, or should we do both? Is there any harm in doing both?

What's your opinions of putting alfalfa meal, soybean meal, or rock phosphate in the planting hole? Since it feeds the microbes, it probably shouldn't hurt.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

OK, one by one...

I don't think it could hurt to still be aerating while you are soaking transplants; it will certainly help keep the tea viable. Not necessary, but still viable...

No harm in doing both. I would if you are able.

My opinion on feeding seedlings is I don't. I let my soil feed them. They are busy just getting established and don't take up much nutrient until the feeder roots get established. I'd rather make those feedeer roots look around than make them fat and happy and LAZY. I NEVER feed until the plant is established.

HG

applestar
Mod

When I plant bare root trees/plants, I put a shovelful of compost in the soaking bucket (Make a note garden5 if you're buying bare root strawberry plants this spring 8)). When I'm transplanting, I'm using my compost/soil/sand mix so I don't use ACT to water, but I do try to use (1)rainwater(2)filtered water(3)de-chlorinated tap water for moistening the soil mix and for first watering so as not to kill of the good microbes :wink: (which I do by setting them in tray/shallow tub of abovementioned water). I save the rich water that remains for additional watering or for watering a favorite plant. :D

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the answers, HG.

I didn't mean to put the food in the soil for the plants, but for the microbes. However, I guess it would still end up feeding the plants, anyway, thus doing more harm than good.

Apps, thanks for the tips. I'm already visualizing the strawberry plants in the water :wink:.

Return to “Teaming with Microbes Revised Edition - Jeff Lowenfels - Wayne Lewis”