The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Ch. 20 The Lawn

So nice to see lawn recommendations that don't come from the industry. Jeff's insights here are on target and the only quibble I had was when he says you might need an emergency application of nitrogen (N I have seen a lawn green up in an hour with a good compost tea; why beat up your biology with ammonia salts?). But he does note the damage it does at several points, so it is a small quibble to be sure...

He hits all the high points about leaving clippings, weeds as messengers, aeration, and winds the chapter up with a call for applying compost tea, so I'd say Jeff has covered all his bases well...

HG

garden5
Super Green Thumb

OK, I'll admit that I thought this chapter might be a bit boring. Boy was I wrong. On the contrary, this was as interesting as all of the others.

I liked the with/without organic/inorganic photos and the the technical details about what to feed the microbes and what various situations in the lawn mean were great.

This is just another demonstration of how much easier, cheaper, and long-lasting it is to work with nature than to work against it.

Return to “Teaming with Microbes Revised Edition - Jeff Lowenfels - Wayne Lewis”