rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:

Hydronium ions incidentally are H30, which is how hydrogen exists in water. Wiki: "Hydrogen ions in water can be written simply as H+ or as hydronium (H3O+) or higher species (e.g. H9O4+) to account for solvation, but all describe the same entity." So that is not the difference.
It is how hydrogen ions exist in water. H+ ions quickly bond to become H30, and "higher species." That is not the discrepancy. He just made a mistake.

applestar
Mod

Interesting! So the publisher's people don't "edit" -- I.e. have someone check a manuscript over -- for technical errors? I mean a scientific work -- the original science might be the author's but there could still be "typos" and "spelling/grammatical" errors, couldn't there? Isn't that what science editors do? (I've no idea) Hmm... I wonder if I know someone who would know that sort of thing.... :?:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Apps, I've been thinking about that as well. Perhaps, as we all know, pH is such an intricate subject that the editors didn't even want to start picking apart the technicalities of it and just took the authors at their word (Jeff even said that this was a chapter he wasn't enthused about writing)? Just a guess.

Logically, this should have been double-checked and corrected, however, logical things don't always happen :roll:. Like HG said, the biology makes things how they should be, so I suppose we shouldn't worry too much.

Return to “Teaming with Microbes Revised Edition - Jeff Lowenfels - Wayne Lewis”