gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Just thought I'd share I just Googled "Teaming with microbes revised" and this thread was the top choice. Not too bad.

Marsman
Green Thumb

Just ordered my copy from B&N. Looking forward to the discussions.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Just ordered my copy as well, arrival date was est. as Feb 19 - 23. So when will this begin and how exactly will it work being a new thing for the forum?

I hope I can keep up with you guy's. 8)

Dono

webmaster
Site Admin

We'll open up a discussion for the first couple chapters and as you finish up join in.

Gardenerjeff
Newly Registered

Hi Folks,
Thanks for choosing this book as a book club forum topic! I am thrilled and I will be here "reading" along with you all! Teaming has had a great reception and I am particularly pleased about the revised titled for the 2nd edition. When I submitted the book to Timber, they were not sure if it was a good one (meaning the information and suggestions would work) or if the information in it would ever become mainstream...hence the subtitle "A Gardener's guide to the soil food web." I was the "A Gardener'.....the second edition is subbed "THE ORGANIC GARDENER's Guide to the soil food web" which is a reflection by the publisher that, indeed, the information was correct, the system works, and it is a book for the mainstream gardener and not just me!!!!!!! Vindicated!

Anyhow, I lecture around the country and hope to meet some of you in person. The idea that plants are in control of their destiny and not gardeners in control is a lot of fun to explain. Seeing the concept hit people is always rewarding.

The first two chapters can be a bit difficult for some. I keep the science as light as possible, but you really have to get through them before the fun begins, so don't despair....soil is the stage for the book's characters and knowing something about how it works is key to understanding their roles, so hang in there and you will be teaming with your own soil's microbes in no time.

We actually got our hands on a case of the books for the Northwest Flower and Garden Show and they look great. Love the new cover and title....hope you do too! They should have some copies at this weekend's Portland Yard and Garden Show.....I'll be there and hope to meet some of you there!

Teaming with microbes,

Jeff Lowenfels

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Jeff, we are honored and pleased beyond words to have you joining us for this discussion. While we are all still waiting for books (anything you can do about that? :wink: ) we have been biding the time with discussion elsewhere about a lot of the topics I expect to see in those first few chapters, so don't be surprised to find out these guys have a pretty good grasp of the basics already. But the actual reading will be even more exciting knowing we get to mull it all over with you afterwords.

All you luckies attending the Portland Show be sure to stop and see Jeff and tell him you saw it here first...

:D :D :D

HG

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

As HG said it will be an honor to be going over this book with none other than one of the authors. Can't wait should be a fun and educational experience.

Glad to have you on board. :D

Dono

Toil
Greener Thumb

woot!

Welcome sir, it's an honor.

applestar
Mod

Jeff, thank you for popping in! :()
I'm really looking forward to the read and the book club... and thank you BTW for the forewarning about the first 2 chapters. I have a bad habit of skimming over the parts where my eyes glaze over :oops: but I'll be sure to stick to it and get my roots established. :wink:

Marsman
Green Thumb

This thread just went to 11!

Thank you for joining our discussion.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Uh Oh! I just recived this from Amazon:
Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Jeff Lowenfels, Wayne Lewis "Teaming with Microbes: The Organic Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web, Revised Edition"
Estimated arrival date: March 01 2010 - March 03 2010
I suppose we will have to postpone just a bit, anyone else getting this message?

Dono

Marsman
Green Thumb

Barnes & Noble.com wrote:Expected Ship Date: February 15, 2010
Just checked and I'm still on schedule.

applestar
Mod

Maybe it's related to geographical location because my same notice reads:
Estimated arrival date: March 08 2010 - March 12 2010
Guess I'll be a little later in joining the party. :?

Toil
Greener Thumb

doh! I just got:
Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Wayne Lewis, Jeff Lowenfels "Teaming with Microbes: The Organic Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web, Revised Edition"
Estimated arrival date: March 08 2010 - March 12 2010

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this delay.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Just got the same message myself.

Jeff, is this book a little more popular than your publisher thought?

Good problem to have... :wink:

HG

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Wow, thanks, Jeff, for acknowledging the discussion. The man who wrote the book, that gave the insights, that prompted the discussion, has now joined the discussion! It's like the discussion has come full-circle and is hasn't even started yet :shock:! Very cool 8).

I do hope, Jeff, that you will stop in from time to time (I can't even imagine how crazy your schedule is :shock:) and lend some of your insights to whatever subjects we may be discussing at the moment.

HG, I came up with another promotional idea for the thread. Now, it may sound a little spammy, so if you don't pick it up, I won't object at all.

What if you or Roger where to send each member a one-time PM notifying them of the addition to this site and what it is all about and how to join in. I don't how hard or easy it would be to send a "mass submit" to all members.

Honestly, though, I think that it would be well-received. After all, when you join any type of organization, you always get newsletters telling of any changes or special events. Ours will be even better since we won't ask for a donation at the end :lol:.

What do you think?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I think we do not promote on this site, not even ourselves. It's one way we keep our squeaky clean status

But thanks for thinking of us, and most af all for the enthusiasm. Those who need to be here will find this fast enough. Just you wait...

HG

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

G5 I thought about that too a while ago. But as HG said advertising in our sigs is enough. For those truly interested they will come.

I thought about adding my sig to my sig on another forum, but first off I didn't think it would be taken well over here. Even though they need an education, trust me on this, but it could bring people over that really don't belong in a venture like this and might cause more problems than is solves. Sad to say but it's true.

Now where's my book? :P :wink:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I like your position, HG. It's this member-oriented atmosphere and strict adherence to it that makes this site the best I've ever been on. I guess if you started with this, where would it end. You have a precedent here, and you are sticking to it; that's great.

Also, like you said, build it and they will come. I actually found this site and other forums I really like by Googling and stumbling across pertinent discussions.

Gix, I hear you. I've lurked in a few different forums and have seen some of the poor attitudes (although, I can't say all the members are like this) and would not want to bring any of those attitudes to this place, either. I agree that what we are doing will probably put the word out to all who want to hear.

Start it and they will follow.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Build it and they will come...

:wink: :D

HG

garden5
Super Green Thumb

The Helpful Gardener wrote:Build it and they will come...

HG
Well said! :o

garden5
Super Green Thumb

The Helpful Gardener wrote:Build it and they will come...

HG
Well said! :o

Now, has the start of the discussion been officially pushed back due to the delay in getting the books?

applestar
Mod

This is my opinion, but I think the discussion "officially" begins when somebody gets the book, starts reading it, and begins posting about it. :lol: 8) But it's not a contest. We East coast folks will be along, by and by. :wink:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I believe we have been discussing it all along, throughout the forum.
Last edited by gixxerific on Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I think that's right. We needn't stand on decorum (for that matter when have we ever? :lol: ) If you get the book, and want to talk it up, you may need to hold some hands to get to your point, but we are pretty smart folk and will catch up when we get them...

I'm sure Jeff will clarify anything we screw up too badly. :)

S

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I have a question...

How did you select this book as the first one to discuss and review?

It says second edition, has someone read the first edition?

I mean, did you see a promo on it, an advertisement, know the author... how ever, with so many wonderful books, did you pick one?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The concept popped up on a thread (maybe the ACT thread) and when I asked what book this was the first choice for a few folks... serendipity? I like tio think it was luck... 8)

The next one will be a more democratically chosen one. If it was just on who I know best we'd be reading [url=https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Lawn-Care-Manual/dp/1580176496]The Organic Lawn Care Manual[/url]; as it was, I asked Paul to introduce me to Jeff to inquire about his participation! :lol:

Perhaps if we ask WM nicely, we can get a subforum entitled "What Next?" where we can make suggestions?

But let's do this one at a time shall we? I think we have a very good one here; I read the first edition a few years back. :D

HG

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Definitely down with "Whats next" I can't get enough information. Been meaning to ask for something like this myself but I have been to busy reading books and exploring links to do so. But why not be into 4 or more books at a time. It's good for you. If only I could get my kids to think like this.

A book/informative link forum would be great I have been writing little reviews of books I have read that have changed my perception of things here and there. But no one seems to notice not that I care but I would like to know what you all see as pertinent reading as well.

Now back to the [url=https://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=2865701754864235132]Emilia Hazelip vid[/url].

But than again one thing at a time. I need to slow down.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Now I'm confused just got a new email stating the book will be out earlier than before my new arrival date is Feb 23. I'm sure you will be getting something soon as well.

Does anyone know how different this book is from the original?

MichaelsMommy
Newly Registered

It says that my shipping date is March 1st :( . I'm ready for it now! I am very excited to read this book. I look forward to discussing it with all of you!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I'm not sure what is going on I got an email a bit ago saying it has been shipped. and should be here Friday now I'm really confused. First it was going to be late than early now it should be here before the original date.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Quit yer complainin'! :wink:

No news on mine since the orginal back-up... :cry:

HG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Amazon never sent me anything about it, but I went and looked at my order history and it says this:

Delivery Estimate: March 1, 2010 - March 3, 2010

Marsman
Green Thumb

I've got my book! :D

Just came in today.

[url=https://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/?action=view&current=bd764618.jpg][img]https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/th_bd764618.jpg[/img][/url]

I win!!
Last edited by Marsman on Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Well where's mine? We're what, twenty miles apart?

Hmmph. :x

HG

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Mine should be here today as well, UPS normally comes around 3:00-5:00.

If you want HG I can call you and read it to you over the phone. :P

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Gixx, you know I just look at the pretty pictures! :lol:

HG

Marsman
Green Thumb

HG, here's some cute little microbes to hold you over till you get your book.

[url=https://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Fun%20Stuff/?action=view&current=giant-microbes.jpg][img]https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Fun%20Stuff/th_giant-microbes.jpg[/img][/url]

applestar
Mod

You guys ALL crack me up!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Coming in a close second

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC03348.jpg[/img]

Return to “Teaming with Microbes Revised Edition - Jeff Lowenfels - Wayne Lewis”