Nuttyneddy

Dying plants

I went to hydroponics shop and asked about my problems of root rot dying plants etc. I have been using rockwool as a medium. He said that was my problem. He said it has to virtually dry out between waterings. He suggested only running water only once every three days for a about 10 minutes . I have had it running every four hours for 5 minutes. I guess the other option is to try changing to a different medium.

imafan26
Mod

Once you have rot in your system, it will spead. It is important that you clean out your system with bleach, maybe twice if there was active disease in the tank.

You can add a fungicide to the water to prevent root rot.
file:///C:/Users/Admin/Desktop/55903.pdf

You also need to control temperature. Warmer temperatures will enhance the growth of fungal pathogens. There are water coolers to keep the tank from getting too warm.

https://northslopechillers.com/blog/how ... droponics/

I have never used rockwool, but I know that it is a common media for hydroponics.

We have used oasis plugs to grow out seedlings and the garden uses 72 cell plug trays of sterile potting soil. The plugs are dropped in net cups and are on a Kratky static hydroponic table. Each set up is 4x4 box,4 inches deep. with 20 gallons of water. only the bottom 1/4 inch of the net cups are submerged in the water. the
upper part of the plants are in the air so they can get oxygen. The cover, prevents debris from falling in. We don't even filter the water, although we probably should.
We only use it for short crops lettuce, bok choy which is ready in 3-4 weeks. The tanks have to be cleaned because some of the potting soil will silt out in the tank.
After cleaning, it can be refilled and used again. There were only problems with plants that were left in the system too long.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”