animalspooker
Newly Registered

Plant Support

Looking at adding some indoor tomatoes and cucumbers this fall and am looking ahead. I'd like to get everyone's opinion on plant support. I see a lot of these advertised, but wondered what you guys used...if you use any. I use cages outside, but don't have room for those in the house.
clip.jpg
clip.jpg (27.67 KiB) Viewed 913 times

applestar
Mod

I use tomato clips with strings as well as just about anything else.

Some of them are less UV resistant than others and fall apart 2nd or 3rd year. Some of my broken ones were probably left out during the winter as well.

They can cause damage if you accidentally pinch tender leaves or stems, floral truss etc. or if main vine grows bigger than the diameter.

I’m more likely to use something softer for floral truss. (They sell special hook but I’ve never used those)

Get the proper tomato support string since some strings can’t handle being pinched by the tomato clip to a fixed position.

Indoors with no excessive winds, you must find them less troublesome.

…Also, tomato vines can also be supported by simply tying the string to an overhead support, then loosely to the stem, and then winding the string around the vine as it grows. (The clips are only useful occasionally in this set up)

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”