Demortae
Newly Registered

Flowers and vegetables together...

Is it ok to grow food and flowers at the same time? I just put in some new seeds, but I have been starting flowers for the garden in there too. Just concerned about the toxicity of some plants transferring to food. I know for certain that some of the flowers are toxic.

applestar
Mod

It’s not possible to render an opinion without more details and specifics ….

Demortae
Newly Registered

I grew tomatoes and peppers in the same system as columbine and nicotiana. I just harvested the peppers and I'm not sure if its safe to eat them.

applestar
Mod

Hm. I think a few questions still remain —

1. So we’re considering Nicotiana (which kind?)
…and Columbine

2. grown in same system (what kind of set up? and size - liquid volume?)

3. still unknown are just how much exudate from roots escape into the system and how much of that might have been taken up by the pepper and tomato plants

4. and how much might have actually settled in the fruits rather than retained within the foliage and stems

Of particular concern is that both Columbine and Nicotiana toxins affect the heart according to these articles —

Columbine – Toxic Plant of the Week | The Equinest
(this is a horse care article from an insecure site and I can’t post the link)
it contains cardiogenic toxins and aconitum which affect cardiovascular system.
All parts of the plant are toxic (with the highest concentration in the roots & seeds) to equines.

What To Look For
You know your animal the best, so you should know when something is amiss. Columbine toxicity symptoms can include gastrointestinal distress, loss of coordination and diarrhea.

Aquilegia canadensis (Wild Columbine/Eastern Red Columbine) Ranunculaceae
https://www.lakeforest.edu/academics/ma ... unculaceae
Humans: Although wild columbine has no known toxicity issues with humans, care should still be taken when handling or touching this plant as it belongs to the Ranunculaceae family that does have many specifies with known toxicity issues for humans and animals. The flowers, however, are edible to humans and animals. They can make a colorful addition to salads.

Various parts of the plant are used for (supposed) medicinal purposes such as an antispasmodic, a diaphoric, a parasiticide and a salve. The root supposedly can be used (if chewed or brewed into a tea) for the treatment of diarrhea, stomach aches, uterine bleeding. A hair wash can be made from the boiled plant

Aquilegia vulgaris Columbine, European columbine, Granny's Bonnet, European Crowfoot PFAF Plant Database
https://pfaf.org/user/plant.aspx?LatinN ... a+vulgaris
The plant is poisonous though the toxins are destroyed by heat or by drying[7, 19]. Although this plant contains alkaloids, no cases of poisoning to humans or other mammals have been recorded[76].

…If Nicotiana is the tobacco species —

Nicotiana tabacum - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/ph ... na-tabacum
Wet leaves from the plant may enhance absorption.
Mechanism of Toxicity
Nicotiana tabacum contains 0.5–9% nicotine, which is the primary toxin. Nicotine binds to select acetylcholine receptors throughout the body; known as nicotine receptors. This produces initial stimulation, but inhibition later, at the receptor sites throughout the nervous system. Low doses enhance the release of catecholamines and sympathetic stimulation. Higher doses produce parasympathetic stimulation.
Symptoms of Toxicity
Initially, toxicity is manifested by nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, seizures, tachycardia, and hypertension, followed by bradycardia, hypotension, and respiratory difficulties. Death may occur.

Nicotinic plant poisoning - PubMed
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19778187/
Clinical features: Following acute exposure, symptoms typically follow a biphasic pattern. The early phase consists of nicotinic cholinergic stimulation resulting in symptoms such as abdominal pain, hypertension, tachycardia, and tremors. The second inhibitory phase is delayed and often heralded by hypotension, bradycardia, and dyspnea, finally leading to coma and respiratory failure.

Management: Supportive care is the mainstay of management with primary emphasis on cardiovascular and respiratory support to ensure recovery.

Conclusions: Exposure to plants containing nicotine and nicotine-like alkaloids can lead to severe poisoning but, with prompt supportive care, patients should make a full recovery.

I think EVEN IF YOU DECIDE that the peppers might seem to be edible, I would follow the “safe to eat?” protocol — here is an INCOMPLETE excerpt:

"Can I Eat That?" Answer the Question With the Universal Edibility Test.

The Universal Edibility Test | Outdoor Survival Skills
https://www.backpacker.com/skills/unive ... lity-test/
[…]

3. Test for contact poisoning by placing a piece of the plant on your inner elbow or wrist for 8 hours. If your skin burns, itches, feels numb, or breaks out in a rash, wash off your skin and don’t eat the plant.
4. If the plant passes the skin test, prepare a small portion the way you plan to eat it (boiling is always a good bet).
5. Before taking a bite, touch the plant to your lips to test for burning or itching. If there’s no reaction after 15 minutes, take a small bite, chew it, and hold it in your mouth for 15 minutes. If the plant tastes very bitter or soapy, spit it out and wash out your mouth.
6. If there’s no reaction in your mouth, swallow the bite and wait 8 hours. If there’s no ill effect, you can assume this part of the plant is edible. 

Demortae
Newly Registered

Thanks for all the info. I think I'm just going to throw out what I have and start over. Not worth the risk.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”