Joxxarn
Newly Registered

Tips for a portable wick system

Hello everyone!

I'm an architecture student currently working with a project aimed to help refugees living a nomad lifestyle in campsites. I have an idea of a simple portable wick system that they can take with them moving from camp to camp.

I'm new to the world of hydroponics and I'm trying to figure out the most cost-effective system for my intent. A wick system seems to be the best option as it's the only passive hydroponics system, as far as I know.

I'm aiming to produce a prototype this week and my idea is to design something similar to a foldable toolbox that you can simply place on the ground, fold out and start using.

I'm hoping to avoid using too much plastic and mostly wood instead. Do you have any tips of how I can get started? Looking mostly for good sources of small scale wick systems (max 50x50 cm) that I can research.

I'm also curious what's possible to effectively grow in a small-scale wick system. I'm hoping to be able to grow nutrious foods, such as black beans.

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

imafan26
Mod

Although you don't like plastic, it is much more easily portable because of weight. You can build a small wicking bed in a large rubber maid tote, a five gallon bucket, or a muck bucket. You will need something that is deep. You would layer a piece or pieces of French drain pipe or bottles in the bottom of the container. Drainage pipe is about 4 inches in diameter. You will need to cover the ends of the drainage pipe to keep it from getting clogged by any sediment. Cover the pipe with weed block or other material that can act as a filter to separate the soil from the layer below. Don't forget to put a fill tube in one corner opposite the drain hole. You will need to push the fabric down into the cavities between the pipe and cut a hole for the pot that will go in the middle of the reservoir as the wick. Drill a hole 5 inches up from the bottom of the tote. It should end up just above the drain pipe. You want to have 10-12 inches of soil above that so look for a tote that is 18-24 inches deep. You can put a drain tube in the hole to direct the drain. If you turn the drain above the hole. It will hold more water in the tote . If the drain faces down it will drain at the hole level. You will need to water from above just like with any sip to start the wicking process. When plants are young they may need some top watering when the roots are small. Mulching will help keep the soil on top from drying too fast and keep down weeds.

I came across this video awhile back and I have made sip pots before, but I used a different method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuqYmRm ... ngWithLeon

I can no longer find the original post from postoilsolutions.org for the earthbox, but this video uses the same method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPg2zsA ... Pg2zsAxaq8

You can also buy a ready made earthbox it is about 24x20 inches and it has small casters. However, the pictures of the box overflowing with tomatoes and other things is unrealistic.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/CITY-PICKER ... /202563845

I have made SIPS before and they work. However, I find they don't use fertilizer efficiently when it is banded so I mix 1/2 of fertilizer in the soil and I don't have a clump of fertilizer in the bucket in the end. I fertilize with miracle grow once a month for long maturing crops like tomatoes and peppers. The soil in the bottom of the containers always smell bad to me (moldy), it cannot be reused. The plants do o.k. but I don't grow plants that are prone to root rot or root crops in this kind of container because the soil is so wet.

My friend also showed me an easier way to keep the containers moister longer. I just drill the drain holes 2 inches up from the bottom of the container. In a 5 gallon bucket, I placed a panty hose on a 2 inch perforated pvc pipe. I drilled the hole for the pipe 2 inches above the bottom of the bucket and passed the pipe through through to the other side of the bucket. It not only acts as a drain but also allows for some air infiltration into the wet soil, so it does not smell so bad. It is also a lot easier than constructing the shelf for the SIP.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”