Vince_Grave
Newly Registered

Lighting Coverage on first setup

Hi,
I would like to setup an hydroponic system in an enclosed space under some stairs in my basement

Here's the space:
20200809_123631.jpg
It's 5 feet by 9 feet. Most of it is 6 feet high and it ends up at 8 feet near the door frame.

So I have a couple questions:
I'd like to have 1 row on each side, leaving the middle alley for me to move around.
Considering that, what kind of grow light should I put in there ? I had in mind putting two 600W HPS light. One at the back and one above the door. Would this work?
Can I have one light taking care of both side for the first half and one light for the second half?

Also, I plan on putting some styrofoam on the walls with some reflective material to seal and insulate the room. I'm a little bit worried about the moisture and the temperature. I guess I should leave some openings for fresh air to circulate. Does hydroponic systems create a lot of moisture in the air? Thoughts?

My last question is regarding how much plants I can put in a small room like this?
What I would like to do is put 5 buckets on the right side with drip line and a pvc pipe that goes back to the nutrient container that would be at the back. on the left side, I'd like to put a small raise bed for some kale/lettuce and where the height gets to 8 feet, I'd like to make one or maybe two rain towers for some herbs / strawberries when I get more experience.

What do you think? Am I putting too much stuff in there ?

Thanks

Vince

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

This answers my questions I posted on your welcome post!

First, you'll need some other type of light. That's a bright light, but the problem is the color - it is 2200k, I assume (that's what mine was), which is not good for growing greens or herbs, but great for inducing flowering, which you don't want! I used this before I knew anything about it, on some seedlings, and a pepper plant grew quite large, but had literally hundreds of flowers, and eventually, peppers, but they were about 1/4 the regular size, because of the number of them! You'll want 5,000k to 6,600k for vegetative growth.

Some of the least expensive LED lights, and so far they work well, are some I got at Harbor Freight - not sure if they are around your area; I see that this deal is in store only, and I don't know what they do for Canada, but maybe there is something similar where you are. These 4' shop lights have 5,000k, and 5,000 lumens, @60 watts, so 4 of them would be far less wattage than that HPS, but probably enough output for the greens. and a lot less heat output. However, I keep mine very close to the lights, and grow varieties that stay low. if you have things 8' tall, the lights are going to be too far away most other things.

AS for the heat and moisture, mine don't produce a lot of heat and moisture in the winter - in the summer I have a dehumidifier on, but that humidity is not from the hydro systems, for the most part. And rain towers would produce more humidity, but I've never used them, just deepwater systems in tubs, and a cloner in a bucket.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”