domford
Newly Registered

Carrot Rot

I am trying to grow carrots hydroponically for the first time. They start off ok but on day 3 they go brown and mushy. Could anybody help or provide tips?

applestar
Mod

I’m not experienced with hydroponics so I hope others who are will jump in and comment, but FWIW — I recently saw a reference to regular carrots succeeding in aeroponics set ups and round carrots (like Tonda di Parigi) succeeding in modified hydro (a Web tray of potting mix suspended Over water reservoir — so more like SIP (sub-irrigated planter). What kind of set up are you using?

Also, from purely carrot-growing perspective, carrot seeds are notoriously difficult to germinate — takes long time to sprout, etc. and then they are very fragile in the seedleaf stage. So more details will definitely help to diagnose the problem.

domford
Newly Registered

Hi applestar,
Thanks so much.
This is really helpful

imafan26
Mod

We did not grow carrots in hydroponics in a raft system. We could grow them in a biofilter using an ebb and flow system. We only grew carrots to about 3 inches as baby carrots. Hydroponics is more suitable for plants that grow above ground. Beets will also do well in a biofilter with an ebb and flow system. It is also not usually grown in a raft system.

Nicole Wesley
Newly Registered

Have you considered buying an in-home hydroponic system? I found one called the AquaTree that says it can grow herbs and veggies in 4-10 days inside your home. It is honestly incredible how it works and it takes up almost no space at all! You can have an entire herb garden on your kitchen counter!

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”