Grenik
Newly Registered

Year Around Strawberry Growing

I have started everbearing strawberries from my local Lowe’s in both Earth Boxes and in an NFT hydroponics system. This is my first time growing strawberries.

They grow on a large patio in Oklahoma and in the fall I turn the patio into a greenhouse for the winter. I can keep decent temps and supplement with grow lights as needed.

I know that field planted strawberries normally go through a three year cycle. Low production first year, best production the second year, and then falling off the third year+.

What happens in a greenhouse environment? How long will the plant produce if it does not get cold? Do runners that I replant go on to produce, or do I have to put them through a cold cycle first?

Thank you.

catalist30
Newly Registered

I did an indoor strawberry grow a few years ago, strawberry plants were planted from seed, runners were re planted. It took only months and everything started to produce. In the summer I brought the plants outside and made a tower garden which was also very successful on 24 / 7 irrigation. The indoor setup was DWC which I would change to a flood / fill grow or a dutch bucket setup.

Good luck, post your success.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”