Russ-rsb
Newly Registered

Hydroponics

Hi my name is Russ I am from Wisconsin. Maybe I am intruding for I am brand new to hydroponics and could use some guidance, but don't see much on the subject. I used to have a little garden in back yard but the sun had a hard time reaching because of the big pine next door. I will look closer at the topics. This is also my first forum so sorry for mistakes.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum, Ross!

So, are you thinking of the hydroponics for growing inside, since you haven't had great luck outside? I only grow hydroponics in the off season (actually longer than the "on" season!), and only grow herbs and greens - the easy plants, since they don't require as much light, or changes in nutrients. And what type of system will you be using? I just have some homemade deepwater systems, under some 4' t8 and t5 bulbs. It's amazing how overgrown some of those plants get!

Russ-rsb
Newly Registered

Thanks for pepperhead212 for responding, I have about a 6'x8' area in the basement using deep water sys. Using cfl lights and have 3 led grow bulbs for tomatoes (3 plants) and my goal is to have romaine lettuce and bell peppers. Only been at this about a month or so. I am using Master blend,Calcium and Manganese for nutrients.

Russ-rsb
Newly Registered

I am sorry meant to also say I am from cold wheather state of Wisconsin.

Mike1341
Newly Registered

New to forum. Hello from Michigan.
Growing some herbs in my experimental hydro system. I have Basil and Parsley and two tomato plants. The leaves on herbs are turning yellow but the tomato plants seem okay so far.
Any help/advice would be appreciated.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum!

I don't grow flowering plants indoors - just herbs and greens, that I don't want to flower! The yellowing leaves might be lack of N - something the greens and herbs need a lot of, and I use a vegetative growth fertilizer, with no problem. Low iron can also yellow the leaves, but more in a striped way. I just broke down my hydro system today, to clean it out, since I have the herbs outside, and I'll set it up again in late September/early October.

Mike1341
Newly Registered

Thank you pepperhead. I failed to mention that this rig is outside. Consists of 4 PVC pipes.
Using Master blend, Calcium nitrate and magnesium. Master Blend is 4-18-38 certainly low nitrogen.
Will try to bolster with a water soluble fertilizer 24-8-16.
Thank you again.

hydro_chief
Newly Registered

Hey Mike, the basil definitely needs more nitrogen which is essential for vegetative growth.

@Russ welcome to the hydroponics, a good piece of advice id offer is make sure you limit the amount of light entering your water reservoir, this will prevent algae growing.

Keep reservoir temps below 23.5C.

Also Ociumfarms have a free digital growing aid on lettuce that may be of help to you!

Best of luck.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”