dumbcluck
Newly Registered

complete nutrient/fertilizer solution for hydroponics

I'm clearly a dumb cluck and need some help

ive watched and read all over the web people showing videos of mixing only fertilizer and salts and then obviously messing with ph or they mix only micro/grow/bloom with cal mag etc nothing showing it all done from scratch

I understand there are variable (what plants your growing and what stage they are in) but still hard to find general or even close to all in one explanation - using peppers as an example

from my understanding

you get your source (ie: tap water)

wait 24 hours for chlorine to evaporate

then lets say

1g epsom salt per gallon
fertilizer of 4-18-38 (or whatever) and measure accordingly to that 2g/gal etc
calcium nitrate 2g/gal

then do I start doing the micro/grow/bloom as the charts suggest
add a little cal-mag perhaps ensuring ppm does not sky rocket

and lastly doing the ph up or down depending on where it sits after all this ?

am I missing something

please help

dumb cluck

imafan26
Mod

It is better to use filtered (Reverse Osmosis) water instead of tap water, not only for the chlorine but for other things that may be in the water. Getting the water analyzed might be a practical way to start.

You would need to use a specific solution for each type of plant you are growing. It is better to use a hydroponic solution not a commercial soil fertilizer. Unfortunately in hydroculture, you don't have anything to buffer the solution, so it is up to you to mix it and keep the system balanced. The dry powder hydro mix is cheaper and stores longer than liquid.

Some plants like tomatoes have different nutrient requirements depending on their stage of growth and you may have to change the recipe a bit for the growth and fruiting stages.

Short crops works best for hydo (50-60 days)

It is best not to mix different things in the same system, especially a Kratky system. Plants grow at different rates and the faster growing ones will soak up all the water and nutrients and slower growing plants will be starved.

Having a hydroponic system is a lot like having a swimming pool. You need to test the water daily and correct the pH as needed.
You might also want to get a scale, EC meter, and have the system in an isolated area like a screened hoop house.

It is hard to control disease and insects in a hydro system so sanitation is necessary.

Roots should be strong and white. If the roots are tan or black, not good.

https://www.greenhouse.cornell.edu/crops ... ecipes.pdf

jsg
Newly Registered

Hi!
This is my first post here... but I am experimenting with 'percolating' water through a dutch bucket with some rock dust in it, and growing azolla in the reservoir for my dutch bucket system... so far the plants have stayed alive and growing well... it will be interesting to see what happens to them after a long time fertilised this way...
-James

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”