Dannyd
Newly Registered

Strawberries in warmer climate + plant characterists tables

Hi,

I want to grow strawberries in a small setup on my balcony or inside my home. The thing is that I read strawberries do best at around 20C (68F). However, in Spain, it is between 15 and 35 generally and most of the time above 20. Can I still grow the strawberries? Maybe if the water is of a lower temperature?

The other question. I am sure this exists somewhere... where can I find the ultimate table with every detail about every plant which includes for example PH, sulfur, PPM, Celcius/Fahrenheit, humidity, grow time, special notes, system type, etc, etc. I haven't been able to find it on the internet anywhere. Just some tables that include part of the information but nothing complete.

Thanks a lot!!

applestar
Mod

I would imagine your main strawberry growing/fruiting season would be in the winter. In Florida I think they start producing around January or February, as opposed to the regular May-June. You would also need specific varieties that don’t need - or need lower - chill hours, or else you might need to refrigerate them in bareroot condition to provide the dormant period, even for dayneutral varieties that produce fruits sporadically over the growing season.

Dannyd
Newly Registered

Thank you. Indeed in the shop (though not hydroponic) they explained that strawberries start here in January february. Thus this question is answered for now.

The remaining question is the big table/list of plant characteristics.

PS meanwhile I've bought tomatoes and bell peppers to play with.

applestar
Mod

Are you growing from plants or from seeds? In my area, we start seeds for alpine and first year fruiting varieties in January for a 2-4 week period of cold stratification, then start growing the seedlings in February. Or to start from Bare-root plants, they are planted after the ground thaws in early March, and the plants will start setting down roots, but upper growths might not start until late March or April. Earliest varieties start fruiting in mid-may, but mature Alpines from previous years fruited for me all winter (in unheated garage) into spring (after being moved outside).

So plan ahead.

imafan26
Mod

I do grow strawberries in Hawaii. I keep them in hanging baskets so I can move them around since the birds and snails will eat the berries as soon as they are ripe. When the weather is cool 50-80 degrees F., I can grow them out in full sun. You do need to choose the best variety for your climate. In my climate, I can only grow everbearing because of our short days. In the summer, I move the basket to a partial shade location either under a tree or on the lanai. When I had strawberries in the ground, I had to cover them with straw mulch during the summer to protect them from the hotter sun.

We don't get that extreme heat because of our humidity. The hottest it gets will be in the low 100's for a few days in August. Most summer temps will be 89-91 degrees F, on most days in summer.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”