Moosejive16
Newly Registered

Help with drip system

Hello everyone! I’m new to hydroponics growing and have set p a system that is not going very well. I have attached an image of the system. More or less using clay pebbles as a growing medium and have transplanted plants that I started from seeds and took out of the dirt pods when they were ready. I rinsed the clay people’s for 24 hours prior to using them. I have the system setup in sunroom and the drip system is set to a consistent drip. I have put hydroponics food in the reservoir. Please help, what am I doing wrong? Thank you in advance!
Attachments
A4B60ADF-A970-431E-8EFA-3B5F7B7DD6A5.jpeg
9C9B7E29-5465-43DF-B5E7-1CF1234DFD54.jpeg
71538193-6094-48DC-B782-BC4BD33261DA.jpeg

imafan26
Mod

The seedlings are not getting enough light. We started seedlings in plugs and grew them out for a couple of weeks in plug trays using oasis plugs. You don't need to take the media off and the sponge helps to hold water and the roots together. Your tubing is just tubing,it does not water evenly. This is a trickle down system. I am used to aeroponic towers where an emitter goes to every cup or there is a spray at the top that trickles down the sides and wets the roots in the cups. The center of the tower is hollow. Hydroton is used more for grow beds. I am used to oasis foam as growing media for rails and towers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B-QAT2RuCw

Moosejive16
Newly Registered

Ok, so you’re saying to give them more sunlight and keep the plants in the soil pods I started them in. Move those directly to the net pots. Should I remove the mesh around the soil pods? Thank you very much for your help, like I said I’m new and I really appreciate it!!

imafan26
Mod

I take it you used jiffy pellets. You should not have to remove the nets, the roots will grow through that. I have used peat plugs we used sunshine #4 mix for the media in 1 inch plugs in grow beds, only oasis foam in hydro systems mainly because the water would wash away the soil and clog the system. I think washing the soil was not the problem, mostly not enough light and uneven distribution of the water.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”