JoysHydroponics
Newly Registered

Starting strawberries from seed

I have starting growing many different types of vegetables in my hydroponics system and am dying to get some strawberries started.

I plant seeds in a grow medium, and always keep the sprouts in the dark until they have grown to about an inch. I then move them to under a grow light until they have a few leaves, then lastly they are moved to my ebb and flow system.

I have tried this method twice with strawberry seeds, but have only got to them to the grow light where they seem to wither and die. Any suggestions to increase their chances of survival?

applestar
Mod

I grew alpine strawberries from seeds for the first time in 2015. I documented the process in this thread: :arrow: Subject: Growing Alpine Strawberries from Seeds

I’ve forgotten a lot by now so I’m better off recommending you to read that thread for accuracy. But I remember they took a very long time to grow. Now of course, I’m finding tiny volunteers all the time in the same container/baskets as the strawberries (same or revitalized offsets and seedling plants from those seed-grown ones) or even other pots. Fresh seeds from spoiled fruits seem to be very easy to sprout.

JoysHydroponics
Newly Registered

That's great info, thanks! Very true that they take a heck of a lot longer than about everything else. Patience I suppose. Just can't seem to get them to the leaf stage.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”