haricarreras
Newly Registered

Why are hydroponic systems not used for ornamental gardens?

I live in a dry area where water is very expensive. I was thinking in making a hydropic garden to save some water.
However, everything I found on the internet is for growing food or weed. Is there any reason why no one is planting normal plants on hydroponics?

imafan26
Mod

People have turned their water features into hydroponic gardens so they can be used for landscaping. It would have to be potted plants unless you plant to turn your yard into a giant pond. Hydroponics and aquaponics do require a water reservoir and a way to circulate the water so the plants would have to be in either a pond or a container to do that. I don't know how you would do that in the ground. Not every plant is suitable for hydro. The shorter maturity plants do better.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I'm not sure how hydroponics will reduce the use of water in your area, where water is expensive. There will be a lot of evaporation from all of that water surface! You might want to look into landscaping with native species from places with little water. A lady from New Mexico on another forum does this, and waters little. I don't recall varieties, as those aren't edible! lol

thanrose
Greener Thumb

One problem we have in Florida with people new to aquaponics, hydroponics and aeroponics is that people underestimate the amount of evaporation and the degree of heat.

Using thicker walled or insulated large pots, or possibly sinking them into the ground would help in reducing evaporation by keeping the soil or medium cooler. While terra cotta and unglazed ceramics have some use in hot and arid areas, if you want to keep the water in the pots, you need them impermeable.

So, if you have access to a fiberglass bathtub or hot tub shell, you could sink that in the ground and plant it with shrubs that wouldn't tolerate drought, but can take the heat. Perhaps roses? You'd have to monitor the water availability daily, perhaps do a sub-irrigation method. It's not hydroponics, but it is a somewhat closed system that enables you to grow things you otherwise couldn't in your area.

haricarreras
Newly Registered

The idea was to put the plants in some impermeable boxes covered by wood to make the aesthetic. The garden would have several big boxes with plants.
My idea was to plant some succulents, small palm trees and perhaps some bamboo. I thought that if water is not a problem, the last one could survive. I'll have to come up with a structure that resists the weight of the plants.

@thanrose and @pepperhead212 those are great points. I have to be mindful of the heat and the evaporation. I'm still reading about hydroponics and I haven't got my hands dirty yet, but I read that hydroponic systems save up to 95% of the water, that's how I got interested in it.

Do you guys see the idea realistic? Or does it sound like it's not the right tool for solving the problem?

imafan26
Mod

hydoponically grown vegetables do use less water and nutrients because they are recycled. But you are right the solution needs to be drained and changed, tested daily and adjusted , and it does evaporate.

Water conservation would be better. Mulching, drip irrigation so you don't lose so much water to runoff, timing watering to the early morning hours and not during the middle of the day. Selecting native and drought resistant plants, control weeds, space plants, and get rid of the lawn. Also timing fertilizer. Don't force growth with fertilizer if you cannot provide enough water.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”