Stutters658
Newly Registered

Beginner in need of a little help.

Hey, so I'm looking to build my first setup. I want to start small since I don't really know what I'm doing that much and I've got little space
So, I'm thinking about buying a grow tent to put into one of my closet. Either a 2x4 or a 4x4. I want to grow tomatoes and/or lettuce.
Here's my questions :
1 . Do I need to get the hot air out of the closet, or just out of the tent. The closet is fairly big, but I'm not sure if it's necessary to add ducting to get the air completely out of the closet, or just the fan to push air outside of the tent is enough.
2 . Is it necessary to buy a carbon filter even if I'm just growing vegetables ?
3 . HPS or LED ?
4 . If I go with LED, how can I change the lights if one or two die ? Do I have to change the whole panel or I can replace them individually ?
5 . What hydroponics system do you recommend for a beginner ? I'm thinking about the bubble bucket
6 . What's the best way to control humidity inside the tent ? Is there anything else I can do than buying a humidifier ?
Thank you !

imafan26
Mod

I have to ask why you are putting a tent in a closet?
lettuce is a good hydro plant but tomatoes will be much harder because of their size and they need a lot of light.
Good air circulation is a must, It would be better to have air move freely all around the plants.

Try Kratky system first. It does not require such a large investment in equipment and a good way to get your feet wet (pun intended).
you will need a container
you can grow 1 lettuce in a 2 liter soda bottle, a tomato in a trash can. You could also grow a few plants suspended in a rubbermaid tub with a cover.
You need seeds, preferably pelleted lettuce seeds to make it easier to plant
Rock wool,hydroton or other suitable starter media. You can use stock nursery plants and wash off the roots but it is better to start the seeds in water instead of soil since water roots are not the same as soil roots.
Net pots for suspended plants. Usually 2-3 inch pots depending on the size of hole you drill in your cover.
Hydroponic solution for lettuce or tomato (amazon sells starter fertilizer and hydro kits in small quantities)
EC meter, PH tester is optional. If you do it right, you should not need this. Other hydrosystems will require it.
aerator (you can get from pet stores. Get large air stones, and more than one. Aeration improves oxygenation and may help keep water moving and deters mosquitoes. Some studies show greater growth aerated vs non-aerated. If you are going to grow the plants indoors. I suggest you give it a room not a closet. Close to a window for light and you will have to supplement with grow lights suspended 8-10 inches above the plants.
Grow lights. LED grow lights are more expensive. Go for daylight fluorescent bulbs instead. A whole lot cheaper and have the full spectrum of light without need for special bulbs. You could go the extra mile and op for special grow lights.
Air circulation needs to be good. Closets with a lot of moisture and not a lot of air movement will breed mold.
It is important to keep everything clean. Insects that get into your system will be difficult to control.
Ideal temperature 50- 75 degrees. (multi function thermometer, optional). Where I live hydroponic systems are usually set up in hoop houses or under mesh to keep bugs out, humidity is 80% or higher. It is always warmer and more humid in the shade house than outside the shade house.

With this system you have to grow the starter plants in the grow cubes by bottom watering until the plants are about 2 inches tall. You place the starter plant in the top of the bottle or the net pot and suspend it in the bottle or tub (through the cover) with the starter solution. (the amount of chemicals needed will be determined by the volume of solution you make.) Different types of plants lettuce or tomato will have different nutrient requirements. Lettuce and other short cycle plants that can be harvested in about a month usually will not need to have the solution changed once it is set up. The airstone will provide aeration and some water movement, but does not truly circulate the water. It is optional, but recommended.
It is important that the bottom of the net pot is in the water but not fully submerged. Contact is necessary for the plant to wick up water from the reservoir.

As the plant grows and takes up the solution, the solution level will drop. This is supposed to happen. Do not top off. The water roots should continue to grow and extend into the water as the level drops, but it is also important that the air roots that are not in the water, are not submerged. Healthy roots should be white. Brown or black roots and bad odors means that something is wrong.

It is best to use RO water or dechlorinated water to start.

https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/hawaii/dow ... 0Rates.pdf
https://www.amazon.com/GRODAN-Rockwool- ... s=rockwool
https://www.tool-rank.com/tool-blog/edi ... 610071988/
https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/HG-42.pdf
https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/hawaii/dow ... method.pdf

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”