Asifgy
Newly Registered

Malabar spinach Leaves turning yellow.

My Malabar spinach leaves are turning yellow. What am I doing wrong?

I'm using general hydroponics flora series nutrients, mixing according to directions.

ph is set at 6.0., 925 ppm TDS.
IMG_3065.JPG
IMG_3064.JPG
IMG_3063.JPG
IMG_3062.JPG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

That color loss in the leaves with the veins staying green is called "chlorosis." It is a sign of nutrient deficiency.

"The lack of iron is one of the more common nutrients associated with chlorosis. Manganese or zinc deficiencies in the plant will also cause chlorosis. The way to separate an iron deficiency from a zinc or manganese deficiency is to check what foliage turned chlorotic first. Iron chlorosis starts on the younger or terminal leaves and later works inward to the older leaves. However, manganese and zinc deficiencies develop on the inner or the older leaves first and then progress outward. Plants need iron for the formation of chlorophyll. " https://extension.illinois.edu/focus/ind ... =chlorosis

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

You would think that a commercial nutrient mix would have all of the iron and other minerals in it that are necessary to prevent this leaf yellowing you are experiencing. Maybe it has something to do with the water you are using? Maybe something in the water is locking onto some nutrient, making it inaccessible?

applestar
Mod

Hmmm... I haven't tried hydroponics, so I'm just making general comments here, but I looked up Flora series and there seems to be a bunch of products... and I was also wondering according to WHAT directions -- they had a page for "flowcharts" for different product on their website. I couldn't figure out which one to look at.

What do the roots look like? was my first thought, but as might be way off base. Is the solution and roots getting well aerated?

Heh, I should just step back and leave this to the other experts :wink:

Asifgy
Newly Registered

Dave, I'm using rain water, it has a pH of 8.2.

applestar
Mod

Explore Cornell - Home Gardening - Vegetable Growing Guides - Growing Guide
https://www.gardening.cornell.edu/homega ... e9529.html
Malabar spinach

Vine, Vegetable (Warm Season) - Salad Greens

Also known as Indian spinach, Ceylon spinach, basella, vine spinach
Basella alba
Basellaceae Family
The leaves from this heat-loving vine have a mild flavor and are used like spinach in salads and cooking. Extremely frost-sensitive. It creeps when temperatures are cool, but leaps when the mercury hits 90 F.
[...]
Grows well in a wide range of soils, but prefers moist, fertile soils, high in organic matter, pH 6.5 to 6.8.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Hmmm... I haven't tried hydroponics, so I'm just making general comments here, but I looked up Flora series and there seems to be a bunch of products... and I was also wondering according to WHAT directions -- they had a page for "flowcharts" for different product on their website. I couldn't figure out which one to look at.

What do the roots look like? was my first thought, but as might be way off base. Is the solution and roots getting well aerated?

Heh, I should just step back and leave this to the other experts :wink:
You are right to wonder. The article I linked to says this:

Chlorosis is a yellowing of leaf tissue due to a lack of chlorophyll. Possible causes of chlorosis include poor drainage, damaged roots, compacted roots, high alkalinity, and nutrient deficiencies in the plant. Nutrient deficiencies may occur because there is an insufficient amount in the soil or because the nutrients are unavailable due to a high pH (alkaline soil). Or the nutrients may not be absorbed due to injured roots or poor root growth.

Asifgy- I didn't think about pH, because your first post said pH is set to 6, which would be fine. But now you said pH 8.2 Note the statement about alkalinity above. You need to be sure your pH actually is 6. And what applestar said.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Asifgy, I wonder what is making that rain water so alkaline? Usually, in my experience, rain water is acidic - sometimes below 6.0. Maybe this has something to do with it. You added an acid to bring it down, but maybe this compound formed has something to do with it. I'm just guessing - I'm no expert at this, but I also grow greens and herbs, and have had no yellowing, just using tap water, adding a little acid to bring the pH down. And I have also used General Hydrponics - The Maxi Gro was what I used, which is described for foliage only growth.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”