LaryDird
Newly Registered

Tomato Problems

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what these tiny black dots are on my seedlings and if I should be worried about them. I am fairly new to hydroponics but I suspect it may be some type of fungus. Am I wrong?

-Lary
Attachments
20170405_163832 (1).jpg

imafan26
Mod

It is either dirt or tiny aphids. If they move then they are aphids. If you get a magnifying glass you should be able to see their legs. If it is dirt you should be able to syringe it off.

applestar
Mod

Where are you located? What are the temperature ranges where you are keeping them?

To me your seedlings look very purplish (dark stems, veins and underleaf) -- are they antho varieties or dark-fruited varieties? If they are, they tend to express stronger antho/purple coloring in cooler conditions, and the specks which almost look like they might be distributed according to the tomato hair and cell structural patterning might be related to the pigment expression.

I thought of this earlier in the day, but hesitated to comment because I have no experience with hydro-growing and possible nutrient or disease issues of tomatoes.

One other possibility -- they could be two-spotted mites. Have you looked at them with magnifying loupe, etc. x10 to x15 should be enough. If you can get really good focused macro-shot with camera or phone, then zoom in on the computer, that may work.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”